Skip to main content

Playing with paper

I thought I had been busy this week, but I have been surprisingly unproductive. That being said, I am in the middle of some projects, and have a few designs for some more, so perhaps next week will be better. Paper clay takes a few days to dry after all.




This is a door hanger. You can get these for a quid for two in the Works. (On a temporary ban from that place now - I have enough things to alter). I started off by adding wooden swirls and butterflies to one side, before painting the whole thing with black gesso. Once dry I used my new Prima waxes - old silver for the background and some of the Antique Brilliance ones for the swirls and butterflies. On the other side I stamped a sentiment on paper, aged it with distress inks, backed it onto card, and added a couple of flowers sprayed with Lindy's Sprays.



This is the progress on my current stitch. This one will be a present. I'm hoping to get this done soon, as I have more in my stash, plus another pattern I would love to do that I found in a magazine the other day.

Intricate creatures,
are they real or mythical?
formed from a blank page

This weeks challenge was similar, at least in origin, to the Haiku's in week one. Origami, the art of paper folding. Originating in Japan, the word literally means folding paper. There's been a resurgence in recent years in the West, taking a different slant on it by using money, giving it as gifts in a folded shape - moneygami. I decided to stick with the traditional, mainly because if I accidentally tore it or got frustrated and threw it away without thinking, I would be out at least five quid. Probably more, seeing as how the new fivers don't lend themselves to folding. The best known origami shape is the paper crane, and people often fold one thousand of them, as it brings luck.

I will be the first to admit my spatial reasoning isn't all that great, though as it has come on leaps and bounds since starting crafting (particularly mixed multi media) I thought that I might finally be able to look at a tutorial and do a crane.

I failed miserably. Thinking that perhaps I had started with too difficult a piece, I found some simpler ones and did those.



This is a pelican and a spinning bird. For some reason the spinning bird ended up the wrong way round (the pattern should obviously be on the outside) but at least they looked like they should for the most part. I did a little research, and realised that, although I had chosen the paper because it was a perfect square, the paper itself was too thick for folding. So I dug into my stash, and found some thinner paper, cutting it into ten by ten squares. The original tutorial I had looked at had stymied me a bit so I looked round for another one. This is a common thing for me; it took me a fair few tutorials before I mastered the French Knot. There's a lesson there. Just because one tutorial has not worked for you does not mean that you cannot do it. It just means that you haven't yet found the right teacher.


As you can see here for yourself. One successful crane! The second tutorial I tried was far clearer, having a video and a step by step process that involved not only pictures, but photographs as well so you could see exactly what you had to do.

It's a silly little thing to be proud of, especially when people are accomplishing so much around me, but sometimes the little successes are what get you through the day when you struggle with depression.

Ems





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems