Skip to main content

Hair today...

I've had a busy week this week, but not craft wise. The new job, and a week's worth of training, started on Monday. It's an intense, but enjoyable experience, and the first time I have been given homework since University. Which, coupled with the hour and a half journey time each way this week, has given me little time to craft. So, I tried doing one of my jewellery kits, only to realise that I have not got a beading needle. Whoops! Beading needles are now on their way, and I have started another jewellery type project, but it's paper clay so that's busy drying. Onto the Beadhaul boxes for inspiration!


This is from the summer love box, with a few yellow bicone beads and some purple stone beads I had in my stash thrown in for good measure.


This is from the pantone colour of the year box. Green and silver go well together, as does green and gold. You have to use a larger jump ring for the glass hearts. Despite appearances, the green beads are not heavy.


From the latest box, a school of fish earrings. The little fish lend themselves well to a rustic, surf style bracelet, but I wanted to do something a little different (plus I have plenty of the fish beads left, along with some wooden ones in my stash, to do a bracelet or necklace.) Hence the earrings. For some reason it reminds me of Mr Ray shepherding his school of fish in Finding Nemo.

I've also been stitching, but not the winter village one. That one has been stressing me out a little, and since the point of stitching has been to calm me down, it's kind of defeating the purpose. So, as I got a lovely leaving present from my old job of a Hobbycraft gift card (they definitely know me) I bought a new cross stitch kit. This is the first one I have had that uses Anchor threads instead of DMC. I have noticed so far that they seem a little weaker than the DMC threads, but I am enjoying the stitch. Here is the progress so far.

There is no way right now you would be able to tell what it is. And I am not telling you!

dry hair and split ends
is it time for a style change?
perhaps with a fringe?

As this week was so intense, I couldn't really do anything intense for the weekly thing. I'm actually struggling with these now; there are some weeks that are pencilled in already for the rest of the year, but there are others that I am unsure whether I will be able to do at all. This week was a simple one, and yet a hard one as well. I know it's weird, but I don't like having my hair cut. This was due to an embarrassing experience at a hairdresser's a good few years ago, but it meant that my hair has become brittle, dry, and full of split ends. So, thanks to my lovely mother, I now have a brittle, dry, split end free head of hair. It's still a little frizzy, but I think you would have to chop off the lot for it not to be. I've had about three inches chopped off. It's not much, and some might think it a bit of a cop out, but it's done anyway. Best of all, it was free! Always a bonus when you are on emergency tax. I was contemplating a fringe, but my hair has a mind of it's own, and it would quickly revert to type. From now on I need to manage it, keep it trimmed so it doesn't get into the condition it was before. As sad as it sounds, when I was at my previous job, as there was a uniform I didn't make much effort in appearances. Now I get to wear smart casual outfits, so I have to think more about how I come across to people.

Ems


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro