Skip to main content


Showing posts from May, 2015

And another task!

I seem to be doing quite well at the tasks at the moment. This morning I finished another one - the Kili stitch.

All I have to do is find a frame for it now. I've started work on the next one already, which should be finished quickish as it's a smaller one. After that it's on to some pretty difficult ones.The treat for completing this will be the extended version of the last hobbit film which isn't out for a while.
I've also been finishing something else - the Alice in Wonderland box. When last I updated I had done the backgrounds and the pictures, so the final thing to do was to add the little touches. 
The drink me sign was done in shrink plastic, then tied onto a bottle with twine, attaching a little key as well (from the scene where Alice is trying to get out  of the door)

I found a cool little trick for flowers. This was a plain flower, white in colour. I edged the petals with distress paint and then used distress ink to stain the rest. I love the way the gold…

Another task down!

Well today I have finished another task! Before I get onto that, I'd like to share a little thing I did. I had some spare glass tiles and saw a neat trick online for them, so I used Stazon ink to ink a pattern onto it, then used stickles behind it. Once it was dry, I glued it into a pendant base. Here is the finished result

Neat isn't it? I used three different stickles on there to give it a gradiated appearance. 
Anyway, onto the main event as it were!

The final thing to do on the calendar was to add the word OR, which was grungeboard stickled, and to add the curtains. For the curtains I glued the sides onto there, leaving it to dry before using a craft knife to cut the excess off. The upper part of the curtain was traced onto thin paper before cutting it out in the red paper, and sticking it on with foam pads to give some dimension. I finished off by glueing some gold gems onto the sides to make it look like tiebacks, and lining the top part of the curtains to add a bit of g…

Domino books

Today's work is being entered in the That's crafty steampunk surprise challenge. I started with a pair of black dominoes, painted the sides of them with silver distress paint, then used black UTEE on the top of them, doing the first layer with versamark ink, then layering the UTEE three times. When the third layer was done I pressed a rubber stamp onto it, leaving it to cool, then using mica powder to colour it. Once that was done and the overflow edges snipped off I glued a bail onto one side. For the other side I added some watch parts, and used black soot distress embossing powder on a pair of silver wings to grunge them up.

Once that was done I cut and scored some black card to make an accordian book, which I decorated with Graphic 45 Steampunk spells paper, plus an L and a bat made from grungeboard, which I painted with black gesso, used the black soot distress embossing powder, some distress glitter, and my green lustre spray.

Before glueing the accordian book onto the d…

WIP continued

Thought I'd show my latest progress on the two pieces I'm working on at the moment. I was slightly disappointed that nobody bothered to hazard a guess at the subject of my box that I started showing last week. Seeing as how my brother was completely surprised at what I made him for his birthday, I now realise that not even my family bother to read my blog, which is depressing to say the least.

Anyway, for those of you who may have been wondering, the box has an Alice in Wonderland theme! Todays progress is below

The only clue on the outside is a quote. 

This was a cameo with some cogs in. I've learnt from this that Rangers accents range and my printing ink don't mix. 

Each piece was printed out, coloured with watercolour pencils in the places I wanted them to stand out. I then backed them onto chipboard, cut them out, then inked the edges with antique linen and vintage photo, which is a really good combination for ageing them. The next stage (and last) will be to get t…

Works in progress...

I've been working on a few projects but haven't finished them yet so I wasn't going to do a post and then I thought, why not? Why not show a project in the middle of it. Aside from cross stitch, most people aren't willing to show their pieces until they are finished, thereby avoiding any mistakes etc. I'm going to do the opposite. I'm going to showcase the mistakes I make, and then (hopefully with advice from other people) I will show how to rectify it. So here are my current WIP's

The first is my current cross stitch. I've just started on page 7 (on the left hand side) which is mainly black so will be a little boring!

This is the calendar so far. I ended up leaving the inside of the boxes as they are for now, and concentrated on other parts. The stars are grunge board. I glued them on the calendar, painting them black and then spraying with the green lustre spray (over did it a little) and adding stickles. This choice of decoration has saved me from al…