Skip to main content

Domino books

Today's work is being entered in the That's crafty steampunk surprise challenge. I started with a pair of black dominoes, painted the sides of them with silver distress paint, then used black UTEE on the top of them, doing the first layer with versamark ink, then layering the UTEE three times. When the third layer was done I pressed a rubber stamp onto it, leaving it to cool, then using mica powder to colour it. Once that was done and the overflow edges snipped off I glued a bail onto one side. For the other side I added some watch parts, and used black soot distress embossing powder on a pair of silver wings to grunge them up.



Once that was done I cut and scored some black card to make an accordian book, which I decorated with Graphic 45 Steampunk spells paper, plus an L and a bat made from grungeboard, which I painted with black gesso, used the black soot distress embossing powder, some distress glitter, and my green lustre spray.



Before glueing the accordian book onto the dominoes, I grabbed some red lace which I painted with metallic distress paint, and glued it onto the back of the dominoes. Once the accordian book was attached, I folded it up (takes some doing as the grungeboard is thick!) and tied the ribbons together. Here is the closed book.




Hope you liked it!

Happy crafting
Ems



Comments

  1. Lovely domino book, thank you for entering the challenge x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.


The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.


I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.



I think this…

Somewhere...beyond the sea

Scary thing happening tomorrow - my first day at a new job, so there will probably be a little less in terms of posting until I settle in. I've done some this week though.


This was the first piece. I had to show you the background before I put all the ephemera on. It's a few lindy's sprays with the bubble stamp. The thing that makes the bubble stamp pop is the use of white pen to highlight the bubbles. Really makes it come alive.
Here's the finished product. I coloured letters with blue ink, glittered with stickles and coated with UTEE. I cut out plant life and inked it with various colours, as well as stamping a clam and star fish, and colouring with distress crayons. Finally I added a few shells.

Continuing the nautical theme, here is a pair of earrings, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box.

My aunt and uncle have been down for a couple of weeks, and while they were down my uncle painted our staircase. So I made him a thank you card. I chose the Wild at H…