Skip to main content

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Hope you've all had a good Christmas. I thought I would post today as I am back to work tomorrow. I haven't got any pictures to upload this time as I am working on a number of projects and have not finished any. Instead I thought I would share my resolutions for 2020. I was going to go simple, and take a photo every day (2020 vision and all that) but instead I am going to do 20 things in 2020.

  1. Save at least 20% of wages - a fifth of my wages will be the minimum I save each month. I'm hoping it will be a lot more. 
  2. Go for a walk 20 times a month - should be an easy one for me seeing as how I walk to work, but I want to do more than that. I want to go for walks, either on my days off or during my lunch break, weather permitting.
  3. Row or weight 20 times a month - I have a rowing machine and a kettle bell and currently I am using neither of them. That needs to change. I have spent a large portion of this year worrying about my health yet I have done nothing about it. I need to change. 
  4. Listen to TED talks 20 times a month -  I have recently downloaded the app for this and I am finding the talks very interesting, and far better than watching TV repeats but it is hard to break out of bad habits. 
  5. Read and review 20 fictional books - the key to this is to go to the library, rather than buy new books. Should be quite easy to read them, but not so easy to review. 
  6. Read and review 20 factual books - this will be harder I think, as factual books tend to be more in depth than the average fictional book. 
  7. 20 takeaways in the whole year - this will be hard! That's less than two a month, when this year I have been having two a week on average. I'll have to plan carefully and avoid temptation at work. 
  8. Write 20,000 words a month - writing is another thing I have stopped doing. I successfully did Nanowrimo in 2018 but outside of November I didn't write anything. 20,000 words a month means a consistent approach, and is doable as it is only 700 words a day. 
  9. Take 20 photographs a month - had to get the 2020 vision in there somewhere! 
  10. Meal plan for 20 weeks of work - this is another thing that I have been flaking out on this year. I've been meal dealing on the way to work a lot as I can't be bothered to plan ahead or make lunch in the morning. This needs to change. 
  11. Donate to 20 charities/Go fund me pages - this can be clothes, unwanted items, even time, but it is most likely to be money. I'm going to keep an eye out to see if my friends are doing anything to raise money for charity. 
  12. Complete 20 unfinished craft projects -  I have pieces half done, jewellery making kits I haven't touched, not to mention cross stitch kits. I've got some projects I am working on at the moment, and aside from essentials and my craft kit subscription, I can't buy any craft stuff next year till I have completed this one.
  13. Watch 20 new-to-me films - If I just said new films I would have to go to the cinema 20 times, which doesn't go with the trying to save money. So I will keep an eye out on the TV and Netflix, and Sky Store sales if necessary. 
  14. 20 mental health days - 20 days devoted to anything that will make me happy or less stressful, without judgement. If I want to stay in my PJ's all day and eat nothing but ice cream I will do it. If I want to dress up to the nines for no reason I will do that. It's my choice what I want to do, as long as it involves some self-care. Hell, I can even spend the day crying my heart out if I think I need it. 
  15. Declutter 20 items - I know it is a small amount but I am not a declutter so even this will be a challenge. Sorry Kondo fans!
  16. Drink 20 glasses of water a week - I know people say you should drink between 5 and 8 glasses a day but I can't go from drinking none to drinking all that. 
  17. Wear 20 items of clothing not worn in a while - I've got an overflowing chest of drawers, not to mention a wardrobe. There are items I have not worn in a long time, and some I don't think I have ever worn. 
  18. No mindless internet surfing after 20:20 - this is another one that is not so easy. I think I've become a little addicted to mindless scrolling; it's almost an anxious tic. So as soon as it hits twenty past eight the internet is off. 
  19. 20 no meat days - another hard one I think. I'm struggling at the moment to think of ideas for this, as I am very much the typical meat and veg person. I'm thinking of doing this when I have late shifts at work but I am not sure yet. 
  20. Devote 20 minutes a day to journal writing - this includes budget planning, to do lists for the week ahead, and thoughts of the day. I have always done a five positive things of the day entry, but this year I have struggled to find positive things, and I have also made the mistake of leaving it until a week has gone by, and suddenly having to try to recall 35 positive things that have happened rather than 5 at a time. Same with the budget; it's much easier to save if you keep a daily record rather than catch up halfway through the month and realise you have spent more than you had thought. 

So those are my 20 things to do in 2020. Obviously they are not the only things I am going to do, but they are the ones I want to stick with. Basically it encompasses what I like to do (crafting) and what I want to like to do again (writing), getting rid of some bad habits or at least cutting them down (meal plan, takeaway, mindless surfing), and trying to better my health (exercising, walking, water drinking, journal) . 

Until next time,
Ems

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems