Skip to main content

Bits and pieces

I've made a couple of things over the last ten days, none finished till yesterday which is why I've not posted till now.

 
First things first, a pair of earrings. I found some crown charms, and attached some of those arrowhead beads from the last Beadhaul box.

 
If you notice here, there are little bubbles on the crown. There were holes in there before, which I didn't like, so I used glossy accents a few times. You have to do it a few times or the bubble will be flat.

 
Next up is a wooden box I got when in Plymouth in March. I painted it with acrylics (first time ever) using a sponge to get a nice blend of colours. I then used crackle texture paste. Warning there, it does tend to yellow out acrylic paint a little, especially if you lay it on thick.

 
Here is the top. I glued a double sided piece of paper on the underside so it showed through. There is a grungeboard swirl, painted gold, covered in crackle paste then a few drops of ginger alcohol ink in the cracks. The flowers are sprayed with coral spray, then edged with a brown distress pad. The leaves are peeled paint and the butterflies are a yellow distress spray edged with fired brick. I also added some black gems to the centre of the flowers.

 
Small sentiment cut and inked.

 
This is the inside. I always find it a nightmare papering the inside so I used tarnished brass distress paint instead. For some reason, rather than a paint it took it as a stain. Really works well.

 
Finally I have finished page 2 of the Middle Earth stitch, and as you can see at the edge I have started page 3. So that's about 1% done.
 
Ems

Comments

  1. Well done Ems. The earrings are lovely and I can see someone feeling thrilled to receive those. Like the box. It's painted and done in colours which I like, and ... well boxes are just one of those things that I seem drawn to, so this fills me with happy bubbles.

    The stitching ... well I haven't managed yet to catch up on your blog so don't know when you began this (I've had some problems which kept me away from blogging, so I'm very behind in reading everyones blog posts), but from what I see in the photograph above, it looks like you've really made a great big leap into that one. Well done.
    ~Cobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love boxes too cobs - endless possibilities of decorating! The stitching is going to take at least a year as it's so big.

    Hope you're ok
    Ems

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.


The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.


I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.



I think this…

Somewhere...beyond the sea

Scary thing happening tomorrow - my first day at a new job, so there will probably be a little less in terms of posting until I settle in. I've done some this week though.


This was the first piece. I had to show you the background before I put all the ephemera on. It's a few lindy's sprays with the bubble stamp. The thing that makes the bubble stamp pop is the use of white pen to highlight the bubbles. Really makes it come alive.
Here's the finished product. I coloured letters with blue ink, glittered with stickles and coated with UTEE. I cut out plant life and inked it with various colours, as well as stamping a clam and star fish, and colouring with distress crayons. Finally I added a few shells.

Continuing the nautical theme, here is a pair of earrings, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box.

My aunt and uncle have been down for a couple of weeks, and while they were down my uncle painted our staircase. So I made him a thank you card. I chose the Wild at H…