Skip to main content

Another *$%^*ing post!

I've made a few things this week, the first is a card I made for a friend. I've said before how hard it is to make cards for males, and this was no exception.


I decided to go for a clean card, with a nautical motif as we live in Cornwall. I used some free stamps and my new stamp platform (this is a fantastic piece of kit, well worth the money.) I started by stamping some compasses on a piece of card and distress inking it, then cutting a smaller piece of card and stamping a lighthouse, sentiment and cloud. I mounted the smaller piece onto a black card then onto the compass paper, and finally cut some seaweed out, spraying it with lindy's sprays and adding clear embossing powder.

I've also made a few vases out of wine bottles. I painted them black, before adding molds, thinlit die cut card, texture paste and art stones (as well as shells on one) and some other bits and pieces, before painting it with black gesso again. Once dry I used a paint brush and either metallique paint or wax to paint a base, before using my finger and the silver or gold waxes to highlight the accents. Finally I added some spring greenery cut from black card, and some flowers that have been coloured with lindy's sprays to match the bottle.











Not a bad use for wine bottles is it?

f**k, s**t and b****r,
substitute with asterisks,
stop the potty mouth

I swear. A lot. I'll be the first to admit this. I've always thought that the reason behind this was because it was a place saver, while I was trying to figure out what I wanted to say. Turns out that it was the opposite. This week I have tried to curb my swearing as much as possible (a few minor ones slipped out but none of the big ones so that's progress) I've also dropped swearing out of my texts completely, even when I have been arguing with someone. It's made me aware of how much other people swear as well; if you are avoiding it yourself you are subconsciously on the lookout for swear words, and it is amazing how much it is peppered into everyday conversation.

I was toying between reward/punishment method for this, but decided on a different route. Being a fledgling writer, learning new words, or using alternatives is a must, so I found this.



I love this! My favourite on it is great googley moogely! I think it is important in life that we always try to better ourselves by doing little things like this. I am certainly not condemning swear words, in fact I am an advocate of it, but when it creeps into the workplace it needs to be curbed, especially as I am going into a new job, and need to make a good impression.

Anyway, ta ta for now.
Ems

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.


The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.





So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…