Skip to main content

Another *$%^*ing post!

I've made a few things this week, the first is a card I made for a friend. I've said before how hard it is to make cards for males, and this was no exception.


I decided to go for a clean card, with a nautical motif as we live in Cornwall. I used some free stamps and my new stamp platform (this is a fantastic piece of kit, well worth the money.) I started by stamping some compasses on a piece of card and distress inking it, then cutting a smaller piece of card and stamping a lighthouse, sentiment and cloud. I mounted the smaller piece onto a black card then onto the compass paper, and finally cut some seaweed out, spraying it with lindy's sprays and adding clear embossing powder.

I've also made a few vases out of wine bottles. I painted them black, before adding molds, thinlit die cut card, texture paste and art stones (as well as shells on one) and some other bits and pieces, before painting it with black gesso again. Once dry I used a paint brush and either metallique paint or wax to paint a base, before using my finger and the silver or gold waxes to highlight the accents. Finally I added some spring greenery cut from black card, and some flowers that have been coloured with lindy's sprays to match the bottle.











Not a bad use for wine bottles is it?

f**k, s**t and b****r,
substitute with asterisks,
stop the potty mouth

I swear. A lot. I'll be the first to admit this. I've always thought that the reason behind this was because it was a place saver, while I was trying to figure out what I wanted to say. Turns out that it was the opposite. This week I have tried to curb my swearing as much as possible (a few minor ones slipped out but none of the big ones so that's progress) I've also dropped swearing out of my texts completely, even when I have been arguing with someone. It's made me aware of how much other people swear as well; if you are avoiding it yourself you are subconsciously on the lookout for swear words, and it is amazing how much it is peppered into everyday conversation.

I was toying between reward/punishment method for this, but decided on a different route. Being a fledgling writer, learning new words, or using alternatives is a must, so I found this.



I love this! My favourite on it is great googley moogely! I think it is important in life that we always try to better ourselves by doing little things like this. I am certainly not condemning swear words, in fact I am an advocate of it, but when it creeps into the workplace it needs to be curbed, especially as I am going into a new job, and need to make a good impression.

Anyway, ta ta for now.
Ems

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new challenge

Not crafty related which is why it's in a separate post. When I mentioned about not decluttering in a recent post it got me thinking. When I have been successful in completing something it's because I have broken it down into manageable chunks, so I have decided to attack decluttering using the same method. So, from now until the day I can't decide what to get rid of, I will be getting rid of one item a day. Here are the rules.

1. It cannot be food - obvious reasons there
2. A photo must be taken of said item - there are exceptions to this rule. I am not going to subject you to a picture of my old underwear should that be an item I get rid of.
3. Once chosen I cannot change my mind - this is relevant when I am in the middle of filling up a bag to give to charity. I cannot dig through it, once an item is in there, there it stays.
4. I must explain here where I got it (if I remember) why I am getting rid of it and where it is going.

So, with that in mind here are the first i…

Time! Look where we are...

Wasn't going to post anything today, then I decided that it's been ages since I've entered a challenge! So I looked around and found That's Crafty were hosting a challenge with the theme of time. So here is my entry to that. See if you can spot the time link...


Got it yet? I decided to celebrate my favourite Time Lord, Doctor Who! (The Eleventh incarnation to be precise)
The star is symbolic of Galifrey. It's chipboard, painted with tarnished brass distress paint, stickled with the same colour, then edged with weathered wood distress pad. The blue symbols are foil, embossed and sanded. The embossing folder just reminded me of Galifreyan writing!

The background is clocks *(not sure but I think it's a Docraft set) to which I inked the edges in weathered wood and added some remnant rub ons.

Bow tie. Cos bow ties are cool! This was made from Sew Lovely paper.

You can also see a shrink plastic keychain Tardis here, complete with bead sonic screwdriver and key. Cos e…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…