Skip to main content

Sticks and stones...

It's been an unusual week for me. After fourteen years I have handed in my notice at my job. I'm feeling a little ambivalent about it at the moment; nerves are overriding the excitement I am feeling, so I flit between the two with startling regularity. Even with that, I have managed to do some crafting.


A simple bracelet, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box and a clasp from my stash.

I made a set of drawers, starting by adding some moulds, then some glass beads and art stones.


I then painted it all black, including the inside drawers. I left the inside of the set as I have found in the past that paint tends to make these swell so the drawers don't fit in.


I then painted the whole outside gold.

After painting it gold I painted it with one of my chalk paints, wiping off the excess and using prima gold and silver waxes to highlight certain aspects. I was going for a faux patina look, as if this piece had been dragged up from the depths of the ocean.






I also used a Tando Creative paper tray with my G45 Masquerade papers. Started off by painting it black and inking the edges with prima waxes to extend the harlequin feel. I fussy cut a lot of things, adding them with foam pads, and finally used mini gems in various places for a bit of bling.




advance from stick men
master paper and pencil
attempt to make art

This week I was planning on doing something else but time got away from me, so I decided to learn how to draw something. Now I am patently useless at art when it comes to drawing. I only ever got an A twice at school and neither times was it for typically drawing. (Have to admit I was surprised each time - they used to put the top ones on the whiteboard and I always had to have it pointed out to me) I tried to draw two things here; one was a failure, one wasn't.

This was the one I tried first. I got the body right, but the wings are lacking, both in detail and general shape. So I tried something else.

 I starts off with a basic shape. This was off one of those wikihow articles.
Next thing was to add details to the spine of the feather. From there it went to finishing the bloody thing with not much help except ' fill in the details of the feather'. Not very helpful. However, there was a picture so I decided to give it a try.


Not bad huh? I could see Samuel Pepys using this as a pen. The trick is not to make the strokes of the feather uniform. I don't think drawing is for me but I might try again in the future. I'd like to do a silhouetted tree.

Ems

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.


The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.


I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.



I think this…

Somewhere...beyond the sea

Scary thing happening tomorrow - my first day at a new job, so there will probably be a little less in terms of posting until I settle in. I've done some this week though.


This was the first piece. I had to show you the background before I put all the ephemera on. It's a few lindy's sprays with the bubble stamp. The thing that makes the bubble stamp pop is the use of white pen to highlight the bubbles. Really makes it come alive.
Here's the finished product. I coloured letters with blue ink, glittered with stickles and coated with UTEE. I cut out plant life and inked it with various colours, as well as stamping a clam and star fish, and colouring with distress crayons. Finally I added a few shells.

Continuing the nautical theme, here is a pair of earrings, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box.

My aunt and uncle have been down for a couple of weeks, and while they were down my uncle painted our staircase. So I made him a thank you card. I chose the Wild at H…