Skip to main content

Sticks and stones...

It's been an unusual week for me. After fourteen years I have handed in my notice at my job. I'm feeling a little ambivalent about it at the moment; nerves are overriding the excitement I am feeling, so I flit between the two with startling regularity. Even with that, I have managed to do some crafting.


A simple bracelet, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box and a clasp from my stash.

I made a set of drawers, starting by adding some moulds, then some glass beads and art stones.


I then painted it all black, including the inside drawers. I left the inside of the set as I have found in the past that paint tends to make these swell so the drawers don't fit in.


I then painted the whole outside gold.

After painting it gold I painted it with one of my chalk paints, wiping off the excess and using prima gold and silver waxes to highlight certain aspects. I was going for a faux patina look, as if this piece had been dragged up from the depths of the ocean.






I also used a Tando Creative paper tray with my G45 Masquerade papers. Started off by painting it black and inking the edges with prima waxes to extend the harlequin feel. I fussy cut a lot of things, adding them with foam pads, and finally used mini gems in various places for a bit of bling.




advance from stick men
master paper and pencil
attempt to make art

This week I was planning on doing something else but time got away from me, so I decided to learn how to draw something. Now I am patently useless at art when it comes to drawing. I only ever got an A twice at school and neither times was it for typically drawing. (Have to admit I was surprised each time - they used to put the top ones on the whiteboard and I always had to have it pointed out to me) I tried to draw two things here; one was a failure, one wasn't.

This was the one I tried first. I got the body right, but the wings are lacking, both in detail and general shape. So I tried something else.

 I starts off with a basic shape. This was off one of those wikihow articles.
Next thing was to add details to the spine of the feather. From there it went to finishing the bloody thing with not much help except ' fill in the details of the feather'. Not very helpful. However, there was a picture so I decided to give it a try.


Not bad huh? I could see Samuel Pepys using this as a pen. The trick is not to make the strokes of the feather uniform. I don't think drawing is for me but I might try again in the future. I'd like to do a silhouetted tree.

Ems

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems