Skip to main content

From night to day

I have not been as productive as I had hoped this week. I've started flitting between things a little again, which I must nip in the bud. I have done some things.







A series of bookmarks. These are so easy to do, and make such a lovely gift. Only thing you have to be careful of is to make sure the jump rings are secure (which I have found to my cost)



I had a plan to make some spider earrings out of black shrink plastic, so I used my web die. Which didn't cut through at all. So I had a bit of a rethink. I cut out some black shrink plastic in a shape which reminded me of a web, then I used the shatter stencil and a silver pen to make cobwebs. I then shrank them and coated them with UTEE, before adding a head pin with some red and black beads, and a spider charm.


Finally I made a pair of scissor earrings. I've had these in my stash for ages, from when I bought the items I needed for the sewing room stitch. I ordered two too many scissors, so I made them into earrings, with some turquoise beads and Swarovski gems.

I've also been busy stitching. Here is the latest progress.


The moon is complete, so I am working on Earth. It's going to take ages, as there are swirls of different colours, and I will have to keep repositioning the hoop, so I have decided to stitch an area then move onto the next rather than stitch a specific colour. The dwindling daylight hours are annoying me now, as they do in winter. It's a paradox; I love winter as a season, but loathe the lack of time for crafting.

Speaking of daylight hours:



blazing ball of light,
stars fade as dawn approaches
the night becomes day

So this week, originally last weeks but for the weather, was sunrise. There's an Indian saying "Every night is followed by sunrise." Similar to the "it's always darkest before the dawn" though the difference in meaning are subtle, but they are there. Now, the plan was to do this in September when the weather is usually gorgeous down here in Cornwall, and the sun doesn't get up in the middle of the night. But the weather was bloody awful, and the lesson learned here is not to rely on British weather (it could be worse of course - relentless drivel is hardly on a par with the hurricanes touching land in America, but if there's one thing we Brits do well it's moan about the bloody weather!)

Thankfully, at the moment the sun rises just as I leave for work. When the weather is nice it's a beautiful thing to walk to work, take a look over our shoulder, and see the sunrise in all it's glory. The pictures do not do it justice. The sky a myriad of pastels. It actually inspired me to write something:

'There's a reason why they call it the rosy tipped fingers of dawn. Sunrise is pastels, a gentle awakening to the day. To the West the full moon is surrounded by purples, pinks and blues. To the East, where the sun is still waiting to crest the edge of the horizon, the sky is delicate yellows and greens. Even the sun is gentler as it rises, intensifying as the day goes on until it is a deep orange, which spreads to the darkening oranges and purples of sunset. It's beautiful to look at but the deepness is almost as if the sun and the sky are burning off the excesses and stresses of the day. '

'That's what she had heard anyway. She had always wanted to be woken by the gentle caress of the dawn, but was instead awoken by the brutal slap of her alarm. Or on the days where she didn't have to get up early, she slept in till the sun was high in the sky (or already making it's downward journey in the winter), cursing the amount of daylight hours, and scarce as they were, that she had wasted.'

'When she did manage to catch the sunrise it was hardly the breath-taking spiritual images that came to mind. Sleeping in on her days off meant that winter was the only time she had caught the transition from night to day. From inky black to insipid bluish-white, the sun barely making an appearance, and when it did it was as white as the sky, but brighter. Harsh. She got up early enough for work of course, but her mind was on fixing her hair, cleaning her teeth, and choosing what to wear for work when nobody cared but her. Come to think of it, she didn't care either. She would set her alarm on her days off, hellbent on a mission to rise with the sun, to watch the sky lighten with a kaleidoscope of colours. To listen to the silence as the rest of the world slept on, and to marvel at the beauty of another day. But each time her alarm trilled, she swiped the screen of her phone without even waking. An unconscious motion. She had seen plenty of sunsets, thought them beautiful, although harsher than the delicate colours of the dawn.'

'Her life was harsh, like the colours of the sunset, but unlike the sunsets, her life was not beautiful. And, like the dawn, sometimes it wasn't worth waking up for.'



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems