Skip to main content

Feminine doesn't have to be pink

I was making a Christmas present for somebody the other day and I got an email from That's Crafty for their latest challenge, which is feminine, so I decided to enter it into it. I'm also going to enter it into Finnabairs denim journal challenge using blue as my inspiration.

I started off with a plain wooden chest of drawers, coating it with white gesso then with tissue paper. After it was dry I inked it with distress pads and coated it with crackle texture paste. The interesting thing here is that I then had to take away the wooden lines between the drawers as the glue had swelled them so they wouldn't fit!! Lesson learned.


 
This is one side. I used some Docraft Parisienne blue paper for the 'blue' of the box, using a thinlits mixed media die to make a negative image and allow the tissue to shine through. The panel was inked with walnut stain on the side. Finally I cut some flowers and butterflies out, adding a gem in the middle of each flower.

 
This is the top. Same patterned paper on the bottom, with a wallpaper type paper on the other half, a die cut shape in the dark blue and the name Nat, and a blue ribbon to separate it.

 
Here is the back. I loved the tissue tape dragonfly and really wanted it mainly untouched, so to keep a bit of the blue I added some vellum. It bubbled up a little but I think it adds to it.



 
Here is the third side. I've torn the top of the paper so that the tissue paper is showing, and added a die cut branch and some butterflies. You'll see that some of the butterflies are double layered, the lower layer being dark blue.



 
This is my favourite bit! I used texture paste and perfect pearls with a floral stencil, then painted a few wooden shapes with more perfect pearls. I glued the butterfly onto a cage before I attached it to the drawers. What I like here is that the drawers have to be in a certain order for the pattern to work.



 
So there you have it! Hope you like it. (also really hope the recipient does!)
 
Ems

Comments

  1. It's beatiful! You have done a delicate piece!GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work! Thank you for joining with us the Denim fun at Finnabair blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing chest make over! Cool design! Thanks for playing along with Finnabair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely! Thanks for playing with us!.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.


The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.





So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…