Skip to main content

Writer's block

Writer's block so bad that I can't even think of a decent title apparently! I seem to have lost all confidence in my writing at the moment. It doesn't help that I have asked a couple of people to read The Ghost Lights, and not one of them has got back to me yet. Or maybe I am using that as an excuse.

Anyway, the writing may be on a low point at the moment (though I am working on some writing exercises to help me) but the crafting is going quite well. Here is what I have done this week.




This was an old bathroom cabinet we have had for donkey's years. It was white, so I started off by painting it with black gesso, then adding paper clay on the front. I coloured some of Tim Holts resist card and put them along the sides and the top, then added some paper clay borders. There were some gaps, because I am not neat when it comes to paper clay, so I mixed some art stones with texture paste and filled in the gaps. I painted the paper clay black as well, then painted it all with metallique paint. Finally I used silver wax to highlight. On the mirror itself I used silver paint on a word stencil. If you look closely you can see that it is backwards. There is a reason for that; the words were about Leonardo Da Vinci, and he was famous for, among other things, writing backwards.


This cross stitch is finished now, so I have started work on my next one, as well as planning which one I do next. Obviously I have quite a few half-finished one, but it is my brother's 30th this year and I wanted to do a specific one for him, so that one has jumped up the queue a little.


Before I do that one though, I have to finish this one. As you can see I have made progress on this one, on the left hand side. The right hand side looks a little sparse in comparison.



I decided on a whim today to make a necklace, using one of the growing crystal pendants I treated myself to a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to use some beads, but still wanted to make the pendant a focal point, so this is what I came up with. I've still got another one, but I want to make a simpler necklace with that one.

Speaking of treats, I have bought a few things this week. I went to Franky and Benny's with mum again, as well as buying some water brushes, a resin guide and Blue Bloods Season 6 and 7. I don't really regret them, but I do regret the Burger King I had on Friday. £7.40 and I didn't really enjoy it. Not to mention it isn't exactly going to help me with my weight loss plan. I did better today on that front at least, finishing last night's beef curry with some cauliflower rice. NDS wise there have been 4 this week, which is over 50% of the week so I guess not too bad, but I can do better.

Ems





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.


The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.


The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.


I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.



I think this…

Somewhere...beyond the sea

Scary thing happening tomorrow - my first day at a new job, so there will probably be a little less in terms of posting until I settle in. I've done some this week though.


This was the first piece. I had to show you the background before I put all the ephemera on. It's a few lindy's sprays with the bubble stamp. The thing that makes the bubble stamp pop is the use of white pen to highlight the bubbles. Really makes it come alive.
Here's the finished product. I coloured letters with blue ink, glittered with stickles and coated with UTEE. I cut out plant life and inked it with various colours, as well as stamping a clam and star fish, and colouring with distress crayons. Finally I added a few shells.

Continuing the nautical theme, here is a pair of earrings, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box.

My aunt and uncle have been down for a couple of weeks, and while they were down my uncle painted our staircase. So I made him a thank you card. I chose the Wild at H…