Skip to main content

I can never focus on one thing!

I can never do one thing at once. There are positives and negatives to this, the main positive being that if you get bored with one project you can quickly switch to another. This week i have been delving into papercraft, polymer clay, shrink plastic and my favourite craft, cross stitching.

You should all be familiar with shrink plastic, even if you have never used it. I have always thought about it as a thing for kids until i saw some of the articles in the craft mags. I'm in the middle (very slow progress) of a configuration box from the genius that is Tim Holtz, so idecided to use some shrink plastic to make some ghosts and autumn leaves. It'll all become clear once the project is finished.

First thing is to either stamp or draw onto the plastic. I used google image to trace some leaves, and drew the ghosts freehand.

The next step is to stick them in the oven, at 160 degrees for a fan oven. I did that and ended up with this
As you can see, they curled up. A quick google search led me to realise i hadn't put them in the oven for long enough so back in they went
Much better! The leaves will be coloured with alcohol ink but the ghosts are fine as is.

Sticking with the configuration box, i decided to make some graves out of grey polymer clay. Delving into my vast craft stash i found i had no grey, or black, so i had to improvise. Mixing white clay with a black ink pad led me to this
Not too shabby i thought. I made two graves, used a paperclip to add detail (improvisation leads to some strange tools) and a nail brush to add texture. A quick bake and this was the result

Away from the configuration box, i made a birthday card for my mum. I used the Vintage Notes set from Docrafts, managed to get the whole set for 9.99 from TK Maxx in Plymouth. The little charm attached to the bloomer is a Tim Holtz fragment, which i stuck hearts to (vintage notes again), then used jump rings to attach a button cluster charm i got from a Crafty Creatives box, and then a lobster clasp.

I also decided that i wanted to get some wooden boxes so that i can decorate them as presents in the future. I found a company called www.thewoodenboxmill.co.uk , and ordered six 12cm boxes and ten 8cm tags from them, all for the low price of 24.83

I love Tim Holtz (if you hadn't already guessed) and one thing he does are tags, but i prefer something more permanent than the manilla tags which is why i ordered wooden ones. 

Finally, i need to post the current stage i am at with my two cross stitch projects. Number one is a Vintage sampler from Bothy Threads. I am close to the end of this, with just the back stitching to do. I plan to turn it into a cushion when it is done.





The second, is very dear to my heart, as the eventual recipients will be. My cousin and his wife lost their little boy to congenital heart disease earlier this month. I cannot even begin to fathom what they are going through, nor do or say anything that will make things ok again, but i have decided to do a photo stitch of the three of them. This is my progress so far

Phew! That was a long post! Next week will be a slightly less crafty one as on Wednesday i get to meet the Backstreet Boys!

Until next time, Emma




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems