Skip to main content

Hello and welcome to the mess that is me...

It is always difficult to come up with the first post of a blog. You are looking for something that will capture the attention of people, either random strangers or friends and family. You hope to entertain, and perhaps, if you are lucky, to inspire, those who stumble across your words.

However, i am well aware of my short comings, both as a writer and as a person, so i am going to ramble on for my first post. Later on i will hone my skills, at least i hope!

I have set up this blog for a couple of reasons. The first is simple. I have relatively severe depression and anxiety and, as the title of my blog suggests, i am an exceedingly introverted person. So much so that i have, at thirty, pretty much no social life whatsoever. I am not going to hide that it has significantly affected my life. I did go to university, many moons ago, but i have not yet been able to find where i belong in this world.  I have extreme difficulty talking to people, without over-analysing what they, and what i, say. I have a few friends, who i love dearly, but i find it hard to make new ones. I am hoping that this blog opens up my world, at least electronically, and that people in a similar isolated position can identify and perhaps find solace that there are others out there.

Obviously the second part of the title indicates that i craft. I have only been crafting for about ten months, but i have found that it has reduced my anxiety by a huge amount. Not only that, it has made me have confidence in myself for the first time in a long time. My main crafts are cross stitch and papercraft, but i will try my hand at anything. At the moment i am working on two cross stitch projects, a vintage sampler from Bothy threads and a photo stitch from photostitch.co.uk. I will post the WIPs once a week.

I also write, and am currently 72,000 into my first novel (can it be a first novel if there is a chance it will never be published?) and 10,000 into a second.

Anyway, that is an introduction to the mess that is me, all of the directionless, neurotic, hopefully slightly creative sides of the whole. I promise that i will try my best to make the rest of the posts interesting, and i hope that some of you stick with me. I truly appreciate those who do.

For now, adieu, until we meet again
Emma

Comments

  1. What a really lovely blog. I know it's a 'new' blog, but I already love it. You have a way of writing which carries the reader along and makes them feel like they're connecting with the person behind the words. Love it. I'm so glad that I found your link on the MSE forum. Keep up the great work. I'll be reading regularly! ~ T.C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you TC, you don't know how much that means to me, especially as an aspiring writer! I've subscribed to your blog too - love the angel wings. I may have to pick your brains about polymer clay

      Delete
  2. You can pick my brains anytime you wish, ems. (Although mind ... it's a bit creaky in there. lol). Any questions please just ask away. I'm not one of those folks who won't share 'how to', I'm more than happy to help or give information if I can. ~ T.C. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.


The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.


I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.



I think this…

Somewhere...beyond the sea

Scary thing happening tomorrow - my first day at a new job, so there will probably be a little less in terms of posting until I settle in. I've done some this week though.


This was the first piece. I had to show you the background before I put all the ephemera on. It's a few lindy's sprays with the bubble stamp. The thing that makes the bubble stamp pop is the use of white pen to highlight the bubbles. Really makes it come alive.
Here's the finished product. I coloured letters with blue ink, glittered with stickles and coated with UTEE. I cut out plant life and inked it with various colours, as well as stamping a clam and star fish, and colouring with distress crayons. Finally I added a few shells.

Continuing the nautical theme, here is a pair of earrings, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box.

My aunt and uncle have been down for a couple of weeks, and while they were down my uncle painted our staircase. So I made him a thank you card. I chose the Wild at H…