Skip to main content

Borrowing a beauty addicts idea

I must admit I do not know who first came up with the idea, but the spending ban has been a bit hard this week, so i did some googling for inspiration. I've found that the majority of people who go on a ban are actually beauty bloggers (in fact I seem to be the only one who is a craft addict on a ban!) but the ideas they have do translate to my predicament. The one that helped me through this week: shopping your stash.

The premise is simple; if you feel the urge to spend (easy with the amount of adverts that we are exposed to on a daily basis, not to mention the offers) then what you do is you go to your make up/ toiletry/ wardrobe, or in my case, craft, stash, and re-discover things that you had forgotten you had. Amazingly, it does work. I'm working on a project at the moment (have not finished so it will remain a secret until I have done) and was contemplating buying things to add to it. Instead I went through my stash and found what I needed! I have also gone through my jewellry findings and come up with some ideas for things that I was at a loss for when I got them.

That said, I do still want that trolley from Ikea. My room is a bit of a tip at the moment so it would really help my organisational skills! Now onto the makes!

I have been working mainly on the photo stitch, and have almost finished the third page of it. I will post a pic up when I have done so.

There are two makes though. The first is another tag.


Again the wrong time of year for it, but I wanted to do something with snowflakes. I distress inked the background with blue china and faded jeans, then added some silver snowflake stickers. The blue snowflakes are wooden snowflakes, with blue glitter and glossy accents on them. (I love glossy accents!) The word snow is chipboard letters with shaded lilac distress ink and glossy accents. I then tried a technique that Tim Holtz did on a tag from a while ago. What you do is you alcohol ink a fragment, let it dry, then stamp your chosen image in black ink and immediately blot it off with a cloth. The theory is that it will remove both inks. You then put white card on the back. It didn't quite work how I wanted it, in fact it didn't work at all to begin with. I went to scrub it off with water to try again and the top snowflake worked! So I decided to keep it. The top fragment is another technique. You edge the fragment with alcohol ink, then add a little glitter glue and some glossy accents. Again, it didn't work out quite the way I wanted; I think next time I will omit the ink and just use the glitter glue and glossy accents. Finally I added a metal snowflake charm onto the fragment.

The second item is more seasonal.





I decided to use the sea as inspiration to make a box! Believe it or not, the netting is actually part of a shower puff (unused of course!). I added some beads twisted on wire to look like fish, then made some shells and starfish out of polymer clay and mica powder. Finally I made three charms, by getting some metallic charms, beads and glitter, putting them in some cameo things that my mate Louise gave me for my birthday, and then sticking glossy accents into it to make it a proper charm.

Anyway, there are the makes for this week. At least concentrating on making things is keeping my bank balance in the black!

Emma x

Spending ban Numb3rs episode count: 59/118


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems