Skip to main content

My first challenge! Tim Holtz May tag

Well i have finally decided to put myself out there a bit as it were and try a challenge! I loved the look of Tim Holtz' new tag (check it out on his website) so thought i would try to do my own version of it. It's slightly more feminine than his, and doesn't have as much on it. Crafters have always lived in a state of paradox - we buy crafty things because we think they are gorgeous yet we never seem to use them. Tim's challenge was for us to go through our stash and use some of our long stashed stuff. Here is my take on it

The background of the charms is Madam Payraud paper (my go to at the moment) edged with faded burlap distress ink. The heart is a grungepaper one, covered with nail polish as i couldn't find the right shade i wanted in my craft stash, so i raided my nail polish stash! There is a grungepaper keyhole behind the key as well, coated with faded burlap and gold ink. The word blessings is part of an embossing folder that has words to do with thanksgiving (part of an Autumn set), inked with black ink to help the word stand out. Finally the tag is inked with tattered rose, using a bit of water to give it a different look.

I was pleased with this, not bad for a first attempt at a challenge! 
Sorry for the short post but i will be updating tomorrow or Monday with a review of the new CC box.


  1. Wonderful tag! You did a great job on your first challenge!

    1. Thank you! I have to admit, seeing the great jobs that everyone does i was a bit nervous of posting mine up!

  2. Emma, glad you put yourself out there. The more you do that, the easier it gets! Great tag! The little scissors are so cute!

    1. Thanks Kathy. I guess I'll have to do more of these if i want to put myself out there a bit!

  3. Beautiful tag Emma....lovely colours...You have used some cool treasures on your creations...Love the cute little scissors!! :) I also want to thank you for the sweet comment that you left on my blog for my Timmy tag :) Jan x

    1. Thanks Jan :) I'm nowhere near the level of talent that you are of course!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.

The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.

So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.

Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.

I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 

I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!

I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…