Skip to main content

Finishing a cross stitch picture

I'll admit I haven't done much this past week; the ideas are there but the energy isn't. I hope to remedy that this week, but if not I will be able to the week after when I am off work! Anyway, as the only thing that I have done is finish the Gorjuss stitch, I thought I would do a little review of it, for anyone who is thinking of buying it to do themselves.




This is the finished picture in it's entirety. Obviously it needs ironing.


The thing that I love about these kits are the finishing touches, such as these beads for the buttons on the coat.


One thing that Gorjuss kits seem to use are metallic threads. I HATE metallic threads. They snag and knot up all the time. I tried thread heaven, which works to a certain extent, but I still have to work really slowly when I'm using it. This kit had more metallic thread than I would have liked but I did stitch all of it.


As well as the beads, there are also the stars and the signature Gorjuss button.


This is the first time I have used half stitch on a project. It works very well for background shading. 

Overall I like this stitch. Bothy threads (who also do Dictionary of and cut thru) have clear instructions and plenty of threads which is good because I always seem to lose some...The one thing that I didn't do was the french knots for the spokes on the umbrella. I still haven't mastered french knots. 

Anyway, I have a number of kits in my stash but I'm not sure which one to do next. I've got christmas village, cabin and aurora borealis, van goghs starry nights, cats and flowerpots, and a sewing room. Which one should I do?

Emma

Comments

  1. This is super cute Emma,it looks like a very relaxing thing to do. I suggest the Van Gogh starry night,bet that would look wonderful when finished :)

    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, I'm taking your advice and doing Starry Night :)

      Delete
  2. This is so pretty Emma, I love it, and am in awe of your ability to do this type of work. I remember being taught to cross stitch in my Junior school (now called First School), and loving it. I continued to cross stitch but as I grew older I had less time and, as a hobby, it kind of got forgotten. I did pick up again in my early/mid twenties and it took me five years to complete an Alice in Wonderland cross stitch.

    Sadly, it was after this that I developed some neurological problems in my hands (brought on by being involved in an RTA in which I injured my lower spine) and sewing beautiful, detailed things by hand was off the hobby list.

    I absolutely adore the 'picture' Emma. I hope, if you're not going to keep it and hang it yourself, then hope who ever receives this as a gift from you, treasures it and sees exactly how much work and love you've put into the making of it.

    Oh ... almost forgot ... your next project ... I would pick the Sewing Room!

    Sending love, as always, ~ Cobs. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cobs,
      thanks for the comments, as always. This is actually going to be a christmas present for a six year old girl. I'm sorry to hear you can't stitch anymore, but your craft work is amazing! I'm always flabberghasted (love that word) by what you create.

      I have decided on starry night for my next project, purely because it has no half stitch/french knots/metallic thread! Thought a counted stitch would give me a little break
      Hope you are well
      Ems

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feminine doesn't have to be pink

I was making a Christmas present for somebody the other day and I got an email from That's Crafty for their latest challenge, which is feminine, so I decided to enter it into it. I'm also going to enter it into Finnabairs denim journal challenge using blue as my inspiration.

I started off with a plain wooden chest of drawers, coating it with white gesso then with tissue paper. After it was dry I inked it with distress pads and coated it with crackle texture paste. The interesting thing here is that I then had to take away the wooden lines between the drawers as the glue had swelled them so they wouldn't fit!! Lesson learned.


This is one side. I used some Docraft Parisienne blue paper for the 'blue' of the box, using a thinlits mixed media die to make a negative image and allow the tissue to shine through. The panel was inked with walnut stain on the side. Finally I cut some flowers and butterflies out, adding a gem in the middle of each flower.
This is the top. S…

A new challenge

Not crafty related which is why it's in a separate post. When I mentioned about not decluttering in a recent post it got me thinking. When I have been successful in completing something it's because I have broken it down into manageable chunks, so I have decided to attack decluttering using the same method. So, from now until the day I can't decide what to get rid of, I will be getting rid of one item a day. Here are the rules.

1. It cannot be food - obvious reasons there
2. A photo must be taken of said item - there are exceptions to this rule. I am not going to subject you to a picture of my old underwear should that be an item I get rid of.
3. Once chosen I cannot change my mind - this is relevant when I am in the middle of filling up a bag to give to charity. I cannot dig through it, once an item is in there, there it stays.
4. I must explain here where I got it (if I remember) why I am getting rid of it and where it is going.

So, with that in mind here are the first i…

Time! Look where we are...

Wasn't going to post anything today, then I decided that it's been ages since I've entered a challenge! So I looked around and found That's Crafty were hosting a challenge with the theme of time. So here is my entry to that. See if you can spot the time link...


Got it yet? I decided to celebrate my favourite Time Lord, Doctor Who! (The Eleventh incarnation to be precise)
The star is symbolic of Galifrey. It's chipboard, painted with tarnished brass distress paint, stickled with the same colour, then edged with weathered wood distress pad. The blue symbols are foil, embossed and sanded. The embossing folder just reminded me of Galifreyan writing!

The background is clocks *(not sure but I think it's a Docraft set) to which I inked the edges in weathered wood and added some remnant rub ons.

Bow tie. Cos bow ties are cool! This was made from Sew Lovely paper.

You can also see a shrink plastic keychain Tardis here, complete with bead sonic screwdriver and key. Cos e…