Skip to main content

So...how did NaNoWriMo go?

As some of you may know, I tried a mini nanowrimo lately. For those who don't know, this is where writers use the month of November to write as much as they can. The target for most is 50,000 but, as I've had months of writers block I just wanted to set myself the target of writing every day. I'm happy to say that I managed to do this, writing over 20,000 words.

Now this does NOT mean I am anywhere near finishing either of my books, especially since annoyingly a third story has now popped into my head. I'm going to try my very best to get all three books finished in the next two years.

I had been planning on working on my jewellery holder (which is now going to be a key holder) last week, but on my first day off work last week I had a phone call from work which kind of upset my week. I won't go into it as thankfully it's sorted now but it stressed me out no end. I've been having some weird dreams lately (think giant eating parts of celebrities and Hitler restarting the Third Reich by opening a pub in Devonshire), spending most of my nights in the REM part of sleep and not enough in the actual restful phase, meaning I have been constantly overtired. So I have been making mistakes as my cognitive faculties have been impaired (a miracle I've been writing every day to be perfectly honest). I feel like I'm spiralling again at the moment, and last week I honestly felt like I was losing my mind a bit. I've been worrying for a while that my mind is not what it once was. It feels like a Snakes and Ladders game, and all I manage to do is land on snakes.

Anyway, the gist of the self pitying paragraph above is that I didn't manage to make anything last week, but I did work on my stitch a bit, so here is the latest on that.


 
The first page is getting there, but I can see this stitch taking a year easily.
 
Hopefully the next post will have the jewellery holder on it, but I'm concentrating on sorting my head out at the moment so I'm not promising anything. I've said from the beginning that this is a dual purposed blog, so occasionally it will be less craft orientated and more depression orientated. I'm not going to apologise for that. Too many people still suffer in silence, afraid of the stigma of being labelled with a mental illness. I'm not one of them.
 
Ems

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.


The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.


I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.



I think this…

Somewhere...beyond the sea

Scary thing happening tomorrow - my first day at a new job, so there will probably be a little less in terms of posting until I settle in. I've done some this week though.


This was the first piece. I had to show you the background before I put all the ephemera on. It's a few lindy's sprays with the bubble stamp. The thing that makes the bubble stamp pop is the use of white pen to highlight the bubbles. Really makes it come alive.
Here's the finished product. I coloured letters with blue ink, glittered with stickles and coated with UTEE. I cut out plant life and inked it with various colours, as well as stamping a clam and star fish, and colouring with distress crayons. Finally I added a few shells.

Continuing the nautical theme, here is a pair of earrings, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box.

My aunt and uncle have been down for a couple of weeks, and while they were down my uncle painted our staircase. So I made him a thank you card. I chose the Wild at H…