Skip to main content

A writer's inspiration

I had another one of those poundland photo frames, so decided to do something to inspire me when I have writer's block (which is often unfortunately). So I started by looking around to find an inspirational quote, and found this one by William H Gass. I started off by painting the frame with black gesso, then with brown distress paint. With the inside I found some of my motif paper with kraft resist script writing, which I distress inked with a variety of browns and blacks. I stamped the quote, cut it out, inked the edges and glued it onto the kraft resist paper.
 
 
The outside has a few flowers from my stash, some swirls and ferns which I inked and then distress powdered, and some butterflies.

 
Here is a close up of one of the butterflies. I wanted to tie them into the writing theme, so I die cut them out of the same script paper, inked them with blue and red ink. I was going to use distress powder on the edges, but instead I dug out some Tim Holtz pen nibs, used distress powder on them, then glued them onto the wings so that they are the butterfly bodies. I think it perfectly sums up the way that writing lets your imagination fly free.

 
Here is the second butterfly. I like the fact that the distress powder did not adhere to all of the pen, allowing a more grungy appearance. I finally read the instructions to the powder and realised you have to shake it thoroughly to activate the release crystals.

 
Here is a close up so that you can see the script running through in the background of the piece.


 
A couple more pictures of the whole piece. I felt it was best keeping the flowers etc to one side so that it didn't overwhelm the piece.
 
Happy crafting
Ems x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.





So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

Writer's block

Writer's block so bad that I can't even think of a decent title apparently! I seem to have lost all confidence in my writing at the moment. It doesn't help that I have asked a couple of people to read The Ghost Lights, and not one of them has got back to me yet. Or maybe I am using that as an excuse.

Anyway, the writing may be on a low point at the moment (though I am working on some writing exercises to help me) but the crafting is going quite well. Here is what I have done this week.




This was an old bathroom cabinet we have had for donkey's years. It was white, so I started off by painting it with black gesso, then adding paper clay on the front. I coloured some of Tim Holts resist card and put them along the sides and the top, then added some paper clay borders. There were some gaps, because I am not neat when it comes to paper clay, so I mixed some art stones with texture paste and filled in the gaps. I painted the paper clay black as well, then painted it all wi…

Money...does grow on trees?

Ok no it doesn't (more's the pity). I decided that to help me keep going on with my savings I needed a visual aid. I didn't want to go for the usual thermometer, so I did something a little different. I started by grabbing the box that the Tim holtz stamp platform (always keep the packaging!) and painting it with sparks paint. I put a patterned paper inside, and then die cut some branches and flowers. I also die cut three butterflies, coating them with gold, silver and copper wax respectively, to represent the coins we in Britain have.



As you can see, it is completely bare on the right hand side. This is because I have set myself a target. Each branch is worth a tenth of that target, and each flower is worth a fifth of a branch. So, I am just shy of halfway on my target.
I also finished my other stag. I kept it simple this time, just coated it with foam cogs, painted it with black gesso and then used silver wax. Simple, but striking.


Finally, here is the progress on the …