Skip to main content

First makes of the year

I had a look through my Beadhaul box the other day, with the view to making some jewellery and trying a new technique. By new technique, I mean of course, new for me. It's a tried and tested technique amongst jewellery makers.

Before I start with that, I decided to make some earrings. As a writer myself, I wanted to use the pair of 'true story' charms, but I didn't want to use beads with them. Just adding the charms to a pair of fish hook earrings was quite boring in all honesty, so I had a look through the box and came up with the ceramic stars.

 
Obviously you have to have matching stars. I was lucky enough to have quite a few pairs, and settled on some blue/purple (more purple than they are in the picture anyway) and some grey ones. I used eyehooks to thread them on, so that I could put the book charm on the bottom. Don't be put off using the stars as earrings as they are surprisingly light.

 
A closer look. One thing you have to make sure is that you have aligned the stars the same way in each earring.
 
I also used the waxed cord to make a necklace, which is where I used the new technique. Basically what you do is cut a length of cord (necklace size), cut it in half, then with each end you double it back slightly and clamp it down with a jump ring. You squash the jump ring a little more than you normally would (best thing is to take it slightly out of alignment so that the ends don't meet.) Also, to prevent fraying, dab the ends in clear nail polish.
 
 
I overestimated the length slightly, so it sits a little low.

 
Here is the close up of the technique. As you can see, it creates a little loop in the cord, through which you can attach things. I used jump rings to attach the beads. The beads themselves are threaded on an eye pin, one end folded to create another eye.

 
The eyepins and jump rings were in my stash, but the lobster clasp, the beads, the cord and everything else was in the box.

 
I chose to put one of the glass hearts in the middle of the pendant, threaded using a head pin.

 
As you can see, the pendant itself is slightly different from the one in the box. I used three different nail polishes to highlight some of the areas (the butterflies, leaves and flowers)
 
Resolution wise, it's going well so far but this is only the sixth day! I haven't craved any fizzy drinks, and I've been doing at least two exercises every day. The second page of the Beauty and the Beast stitch is making progress (I figure if I allow myself three months for each page, it should be done by the end of the year) and the writing is coming along, albeit slowly. I have decided that the monthly treat (at least for some of the months) will be a new charm for my Pandora bracelet. I have chosen the first one, so it's given me an incentive.
 
Happy crafting everyone!
Ems
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new challenge

Not crafty related which is why it's in a separate post. When I mentioned about not decluttering in a recent post it got me thinking. When I have been successful in completing something it's because I have broken it down into manageable chunks, so I have decided to attack decluttering using the same method. So, from now until the day I can't decide what to get rid of, I will be getting rid of one item a day. Here are the rules.

1. It cannot be food - obvious reasons there
2. A photo must be taken of said item - there are exceptions to this rule. I am not going to subject you to a picture of my old underwear should that be an item I get rid of.
3. Once chosen I cannot change my mind - this is relevant when I am in the middle of filling up a bag to give to charity. I cannot dig through it, once an item is in there, there it stays.
4. I must explain here where I got it (if I remember) why I am getting rid of it and where it is going.

So, with that in mind here are the first i…

Time! Look where we are...

Wasn't going to post anything today, then I decided that it's been ages since I've entered a challenge! So I looked around and found That's Crafty were hosting a challenge with the theme of time. So here is my entry to that. See if you can spot the time link...


Got it yet? I decided to celebrate my favourite Time Lord, Doctor Who! (The Eleventh incarnation to be precise)
The star is symbolic of Galifrey. It's chipboard, painted with tarnished brass distress paint, stickled with the same colour, then edged with weathered wood distress pad. The blue symbols are foil, embossed and sanded. The embossing folder just reminded me of Galifreyan writing!

The background is clocks *(not sure but I think it's a Docraft set) to which I inked the edges in weathered wood and added some remnant rub ons.

Bow tie. Cos bow ties are cool! This was made from Sew Lovely paper.

You can also see a shrink plastic keychain Tardis here, complete with bead sonic screwdriver and key. Cos e…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…