Skip to main content

Resolutions update 1

Today I thought I'd do a little update on how my resolutions are going. I'll take them one at a time.
 
1. No fizzy drinks - for the first two weeks this was easy. Then I had a sleepless night due to some inconsiderate people blasting music all night, which meant that I really craved some Dr P, which I have used before to get me through a shift. So I went out to the shop and I bought....some celery, and carrots. Go me! The next day I had an ocular migraine which led to an almost all day headache, which could possibly be attributed to the sugar drop, but again I resisted. I have been drinking tea, water, and squash only.
 
2. Walk/Cycle/Weights every day. Not only have I been doing this, I have actually been doing two types a day. Every morning I have been using my 10kg kettle bell, and when the weather has been too bad to walk on my days off I have been on the exercise bike. I can't wait for the weather to improve.
 
As a side note, I am doing this for two reasons; for my health and also because there is a little muffin top protruding from my trousers that I want to reduce. I haven't noticed too much of a difference so far but it's early days.
 
3. Save £250 a month - obviously as it isn't pay day yet so far this is at 0
 
4. Finish first draft of one book - The book I am currently working on is well into the planning stages, and writing will begin shortly. If I go back to what I did with LAAC and write 500 words a day then it should take approximately 200 days to finish.
 
5. The Beauty and the Beast stitch - I'll use pictures to illustrate this one.
 
 This is the page I'm working on at the moment, and as you can see the progress for this page is coming a lot quicker than the previous page did. I've already stitched a third of this page, and as the target for each page (based on the previous one) is three months, with another three to do the French knots and back stitch, I am already ahead of schedule.
This is a picture of the progress on the piece itself.

 
A close up of the page I'm currently working on. Most of this page is rivers and bridges, but the all important enchanted rose has been stitched on the left.
 
I did make a purchase the other day. For those of you who would like to try Tim Holtz range of distress embossing powders, at the moment CountryView Crafts are doing a lucky dip lot of this - 10 random colours for £20. As the price for each is 3.45 this is a hell of a saving. I ordered these the other day, and received these colours.


 
As you can see it's a diverse range they sent me, which I'm really pleased about. Even better - no pinks!
 
So that's my update for now. I'm doing a long slog at work at the moment (and will probably be craving Dr Pepper again) so once I have some time off I'm hoping to make another craft piece for here.
 
Ems

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.


The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.





So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…