Skip to main content

Finished page 3! (Not that page 3)

One week it seems like you've done nothing, the next some real progress on one project and another project finished entirely. Let's start with the cross stitch.



 
Page 3 is done! Not only that but you can finally see the start of a character - Beast! Only one page to go before I have to master French knots. Of course, the last page will not be started till the beginning of July, giving me a whopping six weeks to work on the Middle Earth stitch.
 
Now onto the next one. As I said last time, I had been working on something but it wasn't finished. Well, I finished it this morning. I started off with a white mini chest of drawers I got from Store Twenty One. They cost me £4.80. I started off by using transparent crackle texture paste and a stencil, as well as some white texture paste on the edges at the front. On one side I glued four metallic dragonflies, and on the back I glued on a cardboard piece from my stash, some beaded runners, and dotted some perfect pearls here and there. When all was dry I used black gesso to cover it all. When that was done I used some blue, green and gold mica powders, and dry brushed some gold paint. I was going for the look that it had been found submerged after a long time. The drawer fronts and doors I left black, aside from some white embossing powder patterns. I deliberately left these fuzzy to go with the underwater theme. 
 
On the side with no dragonflies I added a clock and some cogs, and I added an ornate plate to the front. This was treated in the same way as the edges (white texture paste, black gesso, gold dry brushing) as well as using a literary journal bit and some glossy accents on the inside.
 
Finally, on the inside I used Madam Payraud paper as the bottom liner of the drawers, the inside door of the cupboard, and the back of the cupboard. On the back I used some white remnant rubs (a skeleton and an eye chart) and a quote charm and on the door I put a pharmacy sticker, a old style wedding picture (using a found relatives pic and a memory frame) and a pair of scissors.
 






 


 
I'm really pleased with this as I think it's almost got a story behind it. I went to a Titanic exhibit in Las Vegas years ago and it was the artefacts that drew me in, made me connect the tragedy with real people. I know this isn't the same thing, but knowing, or at least imagining, the story behind an item is important, especially as a writer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.


The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.


I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.



I think this…

Somewhere...beyond the sea

Scary thing happening tomorrow - my first day at a new job, so there will probably be a little less in terms of posting until I settle in. I've done some this week though.


This was the first piece. I had to show you the background before I put all the ephemera on. It's a few lindy's sprays with the bubble stamp. The thing that makes the bubble stamp pop is the use of white pen to highlight the bubbles. Really makes it come alive.
Here's the finished product. I coloured letters with blue ink, glittered with stickles and coated with UTEE. I cut out plant life and inked it with various colours, as well as stamping a clam and star fish, and colouring with distress crayons. Finally I added a few shells.

Continuing the nautical theme, here is a pair of earrings, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box.

My aunt and uncle have been down for a couple of weeks, and while they were down my uncle painted our staircase. So I made him a thank you card. I chose the Wild at H…