Skip to main content

Wheely bad idea...

I've been productive again this week. Before I get onto my crafts, I want to share what came in the latest Beadhaul box. I'll be honest, I was a tad disappointed with this one. The theme was black out, which basically meant a load of black stones.















The stuff is nice and all, and I like the little globes with the gems in, but the theming has been better in previous ones, and this was screaming out for a Halloween style box. Still, I am sure that I will be able to do something with them.

Onto the crafts. I combined two dies this week; the Tim Holtz retro car one and the sizzix shadowbox.





I used woodgrain paper for the outside, and cut an extra back in black so that the inside would pop more. The items inside are coloured with Lindy's sprays except for the car, the presents and the deer's antlers, which are coloured with embossing powder. The snow is flowersoft, and I cut an extra one of the trees in black so that there's a shadow. Then it was just a matter of setting it up. Size wise I had to put the car in the background cos the deer is bigger.

I've also made some more tree decorations. I started off with polystyrene bells, added some paper clay, and painted them with black gesso. After this I painted them with chalk paint, and added antiquing cream, before sealing them with satin varnish. Once they were dry, I rubbed gold wax onto the paper clay embellishments, added an eyepin on the top, then glued on some cones, berries, and holly leaves.










I've also been working on the cross stitch, and have finally stitched the planet.

You can see in the top right corner that I have started on the purple stitching.

Well after braving a Segway earlier this year, I thought I would have a go at another member of transportation.

learning a new skill,
life upon the open road
driving on four wheels

That's right! This week I had my first ever driving lesson! Now, before Tuesday I had never even sat in the driver's seat of a car so there was no way I was going to go on the roads on my first ever lesson. To be fair, my instructor did want me to after about 25 minutes, but it was my choice not to. I've got the perfect acronym for the pedals - cant be arsed - and I was getting the hang of changing gears, clutch stops and hill starts. I even had a go at reversing into a parking bay. I was really nervous about it to start with, and I must admit I stalled a few times when I forgot to release the clutch after changing gears, but I found the bite straight away, and I was changing gears well, so hopefully I will continue in the same manner and pass my test at some point in the future.

Emma


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.


The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.





So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…