Skip to main content

Stitching of a different kind

I've been a bit more productive this week, at least at the beginning. The end of the week has not been great to be honest. Anxiety is high, and the side effects aren't appreciated by everyone. I'm working hard on curbing it though, but whether I am successful or not is another matter. Still, you never know if you don't try do you? I bought a planner for next year, to be a bit more organised than I have this year, and I hope to utilise it to monitor my good days, and my bad.

Anyway, on to the crafting. I'll have to apologise for the bad pictures; the lack of lighting at this time of year is a nightmare for bloggers. First of all, the stitching. One thing I have noticed is that the supposed dark blue thread is about a shade darker than the normal blue, when on the picture it's a much darker shade.




These are a couple of tealight candle holders. I saw this in a magazine, done with cityscape dies, so I dug my treeline dies out. These were cut out of black card, and glued on to the glass with matte mod podge, Then layers of sparkle mod podge were added to the outside of the glass, before glossy accents and distress glitter was added to the top.




Another thing I saw on-line that I thought I would do my version of. These are iron orchid design plaques made from paper clay. Each were painted with black gesso, before being painted with red, green or brown paint. They were then brushed with gold or silver wax, and names were cut out of card and painted the corresponding colours. Finally I added some festive wooden shapes, either trees or stags, before adding a ribbon to hand it up.

making some comfort
for to rest my weary head
from cloth and stuffing

This week was originally something else, but I should learn to walk before I run, so I started off small, by making a couple of cushions. This used up two items in my stash; a piece of material I got from a Crafty Creatives box absolutely ages ago, and stuffing from even longer ago than that. It was also the first time I used my mum's new sewing machine and, while I am not going to be whipping up designer dresses any time soon, I did manage to sew a couple of simple cushions on my own.

They turned out quite nice I thought. I love the material. It probably would have done better as an apron really, or at least a tea towel, but I wanted to use the stuffing. I need to start making a dent in my craft stash, and that's never going to happen when I am getting more stuff in than I use.

Emma


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.


The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.





So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…