Skip to main content

Merry Christmas!

Just a short, picture-free post to wish you all a Merry Christmas! I was going to post the craft stuff I have bought recently (and it's a lot!) but I thought it best to wait until I have actually made things with said items. Suffice to say I have plenty of new things to try out in the new year, which actually links with next year's resolution.
to speak without voice,
using intricate gestures
performed with your hands

Second to last of this year's weekly tasks, and I have always wanted to start learning a new language. New to me obviously, as there are no new languages as such. Anyway, if you haven't been able to guess from the haiku, the language is BSL, or British Sign Language. One of the few things I have remembered from primary school is how to fingerspell the alphabet, as well as a song, but I wanted to learn things that are more useful. It is true that there are so many things you learn in school that you never use in life, and so many life skills that you have to kind of discover for yourself. My cousin is teaching his children sign language, and I completely applaud him for it. The best way to learn is to watch videos, as the illustrations do not really show each gesture in its entirety. So far I have been learning basic phrases, but I think I might sign up to a proper course next year, or at least practise as much as possible. To be honest, I think the major problem is not being able to make the gestures, but to be able to converse with someone, reading their hands.

Ems

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.





So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

Writer's block

Writer's block so bad that I can't even think of a decent title apparently! I seem to have lost all confidence in my writing at the moment. It doesn't help that I have asked a couple of people to read The Ghost Lights, and not one of them has got back to me yet. Or maybe I am using that as an excuse.

Anyway, the writing may be on a low point at the moment (though I am working on some writing exercises to help me) but the crafting is going quite well. Here is what I have done this week.




This was an old bathroom cabinet we have had for donkey's years. It was white, so I started off by painting it with black gesso, then adding paper clay on the front. I coloured some of Tim Holts resist card and put them along the sides and the top, then added some paper clay borders. There were some gaps, because I am not neat when it comes to paper clay, so I mixed some art stones with texture paste and filled in the gaps. I painted the paper clay black as well, then painted it all wi…

Money...does grow on trees?

Ok no it doesn't (more's the pity). I decided that to help me keep going on with my savings I needed a visual aid. I didn't want to go for the usual thermometer, so I did something a little different. I started by grabbing the box that the Tim holtz stamp platform (always keep the packaging!) and painting it with sparks paint. I put a patterned paper inside, and then die cut some branches and flowers. I also die cut three butterflies, coating them with gold, silver and copper wax respectively, to represent the coins we in Britain have.



As you can see, it is completely bare on the right hand side. This is because I have set myself a target. Each branch is worth a tenth of that target, and each flower is worth a fifth of a branch. So, I am just shy of halfway on my target.
I also finished my other stag. I kept it simple this time, just coated it with foam cogs, painted it with black gesso and then used silver wax. Simple, but striking.


Finally, here is the progress on the …