Skip to main content

Out with the negative, in with the positive.

It's been a weird week this week. I didn't do what I had originally planned for this week, as what has happened recently made me think. Before I get onto that, I want to talk about the crafting side of my week.

First, in a change to the regularly scheduled programming, instead of what I have done crafty wise, here is what I have recently bought.

Muppets themed papercraft! There was so much of this, but I had to limit my spends to two items. This is a paper kit, with some lovely backgrounds as well as your favourite characters (though I note a certain Swedish Chef is absent)

Even better than the papers - stamps! These are so cool and will work as backgrounds or focal points.

Envelope die. Technically I didn't buy this. I ordered it, then was told that it was not in stock so got a refund. Then the parcel arrived. Now, I felt uncomfortable getting this when I had got my money back so I phoned the company up and explained the situation, and offered to pay for it again. They told me that I didn't need to!

Country View Crafts do an advent calendar every December where they have different daily offers. This was from one of the days (I have another lot on the way). Here you have two lots of word dies (different words of course) which will really help with my sentiments. There is also a bow die, and a detailed butterflies die.

The reason I wanted to show what I have bought first, is that when I share this on Facebook I do not want the next picture to be the one in the link.

This is the first page finished of my newest cross stitch, and the face of my lovely dearly departed aunt. I've got five pages left to do, and the frame as well. I'm aiming to get this done by what would be my aunt's next birthday.

stop complaining
find solutions not problems
because life is short

So, instead of my original plan I replaced it with this. To spend a week being mindful of my negativity, and instead of just moaning about things, to try to find a solution to my issues. Overall I think I did well. When I did moan I reworked what I was saying into a more positive (or constructive) criticism. There is no point in saying what does not work, if you are unwilling to at least try to come up with an alternative. The atmosphere at work has been great this week (not because I have not moaned - I am not responsible for everyone's mood! lol) which has certainly helped, and the staff meeting that we had was very productive, as well as a great laugh. As was the Christmas quiz, which our team came second in (thank you Disney round!) I can't say I didn't moan at all, because it is a hard thing to stop doing, especially as along with cups of tea it is one of Britain's greatest pastimes, but it shows that when you are mindful of things, you can change your ways. Which will definitely help me with next year.



Popular posts from this blog

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.

Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.

I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 

I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!

I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.

The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.

I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.

I think this…

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.

The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…