Skip to main content

Diagonally

Sorry I didn't post last week, but to make it up I have not one but three weekly tasks this post. To start with, here is the crafting I have done. It's not much, but I wasn't home for most of it, so I couldn't exactly take my craft stash with me. I am also working on a new stitch which will now be a priority, but I have not got any pictures of that as of yet.



What I wanted to do with these is try a few new techniques. The bottom one is a red background with a mixed media thinlit used on Christmas themed paper for the foreground. Then I cut out and coloured some Christmas items, and embossed a pair of wooden mittens. The top one utilises texture paste through a stencil, with Verdigris embossing powder shaken on the texture paste, then heated when it is dry. Again I coloured Christmas themed stamps.

Anyway, onto the three things I have completed this week.

trip to the unknown
on holiday somewhere new
adventures await

This is the first one, which was staying somewhere new. Now, admittedly I have visited this place before, but never for long, and never looked around the town.






This is my mum, outside the house she lived in from the age of ten to the age of eighteen. Some may find it boring to come to a place like this, when I could jet off somewhere exotic, but I think it is important, especially as your parents get older, to hear about their life. So we came here to Aldershot, and I got to see where my mum went to school, the pub she used to go round the back of to get cigarettes for her dad, and the infamous bridge (don't ask!)

Of course, Aldershot is not very far from London, so we had to make an overnight stop here, which led to two other tasks.

sea creatures of ice
as we go walking
in a winter wonderland

This was Hyde Park's Winter Wonderland, and the ice kingdom they have. It's only £7 a ticket in off-peak times, so as you can see from the pictures, it is well worth it. Just wrap up warm because they have to keep it cold or the ice will melt!











I've put a select few pictures on here to illustrate how gorgeous it is. Whoever does these are so talented. Winter Wonderland was lovely too. Granted it is expensive, so if you have kids bring loads of money. It reminds me of the fairgrounds of old, both in the rides and in the atmosphere, which really brings the Christmas spirit home. Best time to go is the early evening I think, because there's enough people there to entertain you when you are people watching, but it isn't too crowded. We went on a Monday night, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We also walked 11 miles that day!

Visit a great hall/
see views of the capital
from a giant eye

This was one of two things. I had planned on going on the London Eye but that fell through for reasons I will not go into. The first line though, was to visit the Harry Potter Studio Tour, which was decorated for Christmas. We had to get a bus from Victoria to the tour.




















Not even a handful of the pictures I took. The place is amazing, and that's from someone who has been to Wizarding World in Florida. It was interesting to learn what they use to make snow on film as well, and it's very well structured so it is never too busy in any particular area. The model is amazing, and so much bigger than I thought it would be. I'd love to go again when they are doing a big event (and maybe meet some of the cast) You have to book it in advance, and I would recommend going through Golden Tours, as you can get a bus from Victoria and back. Just be prepared to part with some cash as there are a few souvenir shops!

Ems






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro