Skip to main content

The end of a (somewhat) productive week

So today is the day before I'm back to work, and here is the last thing I made this week; my mum's birthday present.

A couple of months ago I was walking past a charity shop and I spotted a jewellry box, so I decided to buy it. Here is what it looked like when I bought it.




Now I knew that I didn't want to change the inside, as purple is mum's favourite colour. I did however, want to do something with the outside. 

I started off by painting it black using acrylic paint, and then sealing it with spray. I then used a versamark ink pad, a script background stamp, and some mica powder, to decorate. I then made some shapes and leaves out of polymer clay, coated them with mica powder, and attached them to the lid of the box.



Here you can see the polymer clay shapes on the top, and the script all over the box.








I added some flowers from my stash (daisies as I felt I didn't want flowers with too much colour) and stamped a butterfly stamp (consisting of three stamps) four times onto white shrink plastic, coloured them in with promarkers, and shrunk them, glueing them onto the leaves/flowers, once everything else was dry. 

I think the minimal decoration works for this. I was initially tempted to add some paper, either on the lid or along the side, but on reflection I don't think it needs it. 

I'm entering this into the That's crafty animal magic challenge

Happy crafting 
Ems x


Comments

  1. Wow ... a transformation and a half! It doesn't look like the same box. Well done Ems. ~ Cobs. ... oh... and ... good luck with the competition! (I've entered that one too! First time I've ever entered one. eeeek!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh now i don't want to win - i want you too!

      Delete
    2. aw, bless your heart. Thank you. But ... looking at the entries I've a feeling that I'm up against quite a lot of great crafters.

      But it doesn't matter even if I don't win. What was important was that I took hold of my courage and actually stopped paying lip service to entering any type of crafting competition, and actually DO IT! I felt like I'd climbed a mountain once I'd finally posted the picture and link.
      Small things make me happy. LOL ~ Cobs. x

      Delete
    3. It's a scary thing when you first put your work in a challenge - it's like it's up for intense scrutiny, much more than the usual blog post. However, it's worth it. I just made Top 3 for the Tick Tock challenge!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.


The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.


I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.



I think this…

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.


The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…