Skip to main content

Trying to figure out what to do with your stash...

I'm an advocate of using up your stash but sometimes I have a small problem in doing so. I will find an item and have no idea whatsoever about what to make with it. Do any of you have the same problem? I can't decide whether the solution is to sell the stuff or hang onto it until inspiration hits.

Anyway, first thing I wanted to do today was to update my cross stitch progress. Here is the latest update


As you can see, the third page is coming along nicely.

I've also been working on making presents this last couple of days, and have another two birthday presents to add to my total. The first is for a friend of mine. I was going to do a collage of photos from when we went to Disney last year, but I just wasn't feeling it, so I dug out one of the wooden boxes I had left.





I kept it relatively simple. I had a few ideas for how to do this but the size of the box didn't lend itself to the ideas so I had to change it. That's what crafting is though; if the idea you initially had doesn't pan out you don't have to give up (I now have a few items ready made for adding to another project if I want to.) In the end I painted it blue, distressed it a little, stamped the bottom of the box, and then added a jute panel and some red lace onto the top of the box. The word April is grungeboard, painted with white crackle paint, inked and then glossy accented. Then I just added some little flowers from my stash.

Second present was for mothers day. Again, initial plans didn't pan out so I changed them. Originally I was going to use some photo shrink plastic to make a photo keyring of us kids, but I couldn't find the shrink plastic. I found some white shrink plastic, so I did zentangle letters of our initials, and made a keyring out of them.


I ended up doing the E twice as I punched the hole too near the edge on the first and it snapped.

I didn't think this was enough, so I decided to make a second keyring, something a little different.




I started off by dabbing an ornate plate with distress paint to age it. I then chose a paper for the back, and sealed it with some chipboard. I aged a flower charm and added gold beads with some green stickle, before setting it into the plate and glossy accenting the whole lot, adding a little bit of glitter too. The flower was originally white. It's made from polymer clay (came in a crafty creatives box) so I added some alcohol ink to colour it, then stuck it in a small frame so that I could hang it onto the bottom. I used an eye pin to attach the rose (and some beads) to the plate, then added a keyring to the top of it. This is definitely my favourite piece of the three made this week.

Happy crafting everyone (and don't forget to tell me what you do with your stash!)
Emma




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.


The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.


I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.



I think this…

Somewhere...beyond the sea

Scary thing happening tomorrow - my first day at a new job, so there will probably be a little less in terms of posting until I settle in. I've done some this week though.


This was the first piece. I had to show you the background before I put all the ephemera on. It's a few lindy's sprays with the bubble stamp. The thing that makes the bubble stamp pop is the use of white pen to highlight the bubbles. Really makes it come alive.
Here's the finished product. I coloured letters with blue ink, glittered with stickles and coated with UTEE. I cut out plant life and inked it with various colours, as well as stamping a clam and star fish, and colouring with distress crayons. Finally I added a few shells.

Continuing the nautical theme, here is a pair of earrings, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box.

My aunt and uncle have been down for a couple of weeks, and while they were down my uncle painted our staircase. So I made him a thank you card. I chose the Wild at H…