Skip to main content

Slipping through the cracks...

I've been thinking lately. When I was a kid being an adult seemed straightforward. You went to university, graduated, got a job, met someone, had kids. All the things that are supposedly inevitable. Now, I feel like I've slipped through the cracks of life, settling amongst the fluff, dust and other discarded things. Languishing there, unneeded, unwanted, forgotten.

I'm not stupid. I know that life is what you make it. It just seems so hard sometimes. My depression and anxiety have eased in the past couple of months but they will never fully heal. We have good times and bad times, and some of us are better at dealing with the bad times than others.

Right, onto todays crafting, which I'm entering into That's crafty keep it simple challenge. I had one wooden box left over, and a ton of grungeboard letters that don't make words, so I started there.



I only put letters on the top part of the box, as I only wanted to decorate that part. Next I painted it in black gesso, inside and out.


After leaving it to dry, I sprayed it with the green glimmer mist I have, and left it overnight to dry.


I then used fired brick and black soot distress paint, and coated the letters with it.


I used the heat gun to dry this. NOT a good idea as it bubbles up, but it works well with the battered look I wanted to give the box. What also worked well was spritzing the fired brick paint, as it dripped down the sides in a cool way. Once that was dry, I drybrushed the letters with tarnished brass and antiqued bronze, before dabbing it with iced spruce.


Sorry about the light - it got really dark!

Next thing I did was something I wanted to try since I got the UTEE. I cut out some paper flowers, inked the edges with fired brick and pumice stone distress pads, inked the leaves with peeled paint, and assembled them with glossy accents. Once they were dry, I got a small ovenproof dish, poured some UTEE in it, and stuck it in the oven at 170C in a fan oven. Once it had melted I carefully dipped the flowers in the UTEE, using a pair of tweezers. I let the excess drip off (shake it if you can as it dries quickly) and then let it cool on a craft mat.



A little thicker than I would have liked but not bad for a first try! I also got some film spool, and a wooden memories word, which I dabbed with antiqued bronze and black soot distress paints.



Here is the finished result! Very different from my other wooden boxes, but quite simple to do once you've mastered the UTEE bit. 

Let me know what you think of it

Ems c





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new challenge

Not crafty related which is why it's in a separate post. When I mentioned about not decluttering in a recent post it got me thinking. When I have been successful in completing something it's because I have broken it down into manageable chunks, so I have decided to attack decluttering using the same method. So, from now until the day I can't decide what to get rid of, I will be getting rid of one item a day. Here are the rules.

1. It cannot be food - obvious reasons there
2. A photo must be taken of said item - there are exceptions to this rule. I am not going to subject you to a picture of my old underwear should that be an item I get rid of.
3. Once chosen I cannot change my mind - this is relevant when I am in the middle of filling up a bag to give to charity. I cannot dig through it, once an item is in there, there it stays.
4. I must explain here where I got it (if I remember) why I am getting rid of it and where it is going.

So, with that in mind here are the first i…

Time! Look where we are...

Wasn't going to post anything today, then I decided that it's been ages since I've entered a challenge! So I looked around and found That's Crafty were hosting a challenge with the theme of time. So here is my entry to that. See if you can spot the time link...


Got it yet? I decided to celebrate my favourite Time Lord, Doctor Who! (The Eleventh incarnation to be precise)
The star is symbolic of Galifrey. It's chipboard, painted with tarnished brass distress paint, stickled with the same colour, then edged with weathered wood distress pad. The blue symbols are foil, embossed and sanded. The embossing folder just reminded me of Galifreyan writing!

The background is clocks *(not sure but I think it's a Docraft set) to which I inked the edges in weathered wood and added some remnant rub ons.

Bow tie. Cos bow ties are cool! This was made from Sew Lovely paper.

You can also see a shrink plastic keychain Tardis here, complete with bead sonic screwdriver and key. Cos e…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…