Skip to main content

An alternative anniversary card

It's my aunt and uncle's 40th wedding anniversary next month (you will already have seen the stitch I made for the occasion) so today I decided to do an anniversary card for them. One thing I have noticed is that cards that are for a couple (ie not the ones from a wife to her husband) all seem a little bit girly. All well and good, but men celebrate anniversaries too, and the best card will be for both members of a couple, whether a hetero or homosexual couple.


Anyway, enough drivel, here's to the card! I've been looking at Tim Holtz tags lately, and he has been revisiting some of his techniques. I took a few of those techniques for the card.

 

 
This is the first technique - stencil embossing. Basically you use a stencil and add distress ink through it, then before the ink dries you add clear embossing powder, take off the excess and heat set it. You get a lovely shine to the hearts which you can just see at the top of the picture.

 
A slightly different technique to what Tim does, basically I added some stencil words in texture paste and then added distress embossing powder over the top. Leave it to dry completely (one hour at least) before heat setting the powder. I didn't wait so it's ended a little paler than it should have. Still looks good.

 
Here is the second technique - industrial grunge (something like that anyway). Basically you emboss some foil then use black soot paint and a blending pad to get the paint into the grooves, giving the whole thing an industrial feel. Works best with cogs, rivets, clocks etc but works well with the heart folder here.

 
I used some Madame Payraud paper for the background and distress inked the sides before putting the foil in the centre. I also used the same paper for the hearts, die cutting them and inking the sides with barn door and a little bit of stickles, before die cutting 40 and painting it in brass. Finally I tied some twine around the card, adding a love heart charm. The whole thing was then put on white card.

 
So there you have it! An anniversary card that is not all pink and fluffy, but not too manly either.
 
Happy crafting
Ems

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.


The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.





So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…