Skip to main content

Captains of industry

For some reason the blog wasn't allowing me to write after putting pictures in, so I have had to do two posts, one for decluttering, one for crafting.

I started off by painting a canvas with black gesso, then die cutting some gears from the gearz bigz die, and glueing them onto the side of the canvas. I used texture paste on the gears, then painted them black, before dry brushing the whole piece with silver distress paint. I added extra gears that were painted silver with some distress embossing powder added, attached by foam pads to give dimension. I then cut out a piece of Tim Holtz french industrial paper, before tearing the edge nearest the gears. I used sprays to colour it as well as white stain to lighten it a little, and inked the edges before glueing it onto the canvas. When it was dry, I picked a found relatives picture and used the image transfer technique to transfer it onto the canvas. One tip here is to use water to dampen the back by dipping your finger in the water and rubbing the paper in circles to get rid of it. Seems to do the least damage to the piece. I inked the edges, then added the word industriale, using grunge board letters and the same texture paste and dry brush technique i used on the gears. Before i attached the letters I used a diamond stencil with ink, a circle stencil with transparent matte texture paste (it seems to absorb the inks below which is quite cool) and a ruler stencil with normal texture paste, which i then inked. Finally I cut out a few ephemera, and added some flowers and a keyhole, clock and clock key.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new challenge

Not crafty related which is why it's in a separate post. When I mentioned about not decluttering in a recent post it got me thinking. When I have been successful in completing something it's because I have broken it down into manageable chunks, so I have decided to attack decluttering using the same method. So, from now until the day I can't decide what to get rid of, I will be getting rid of one item a day. Here are the rules.

1. It cannot be food - obvious reasons there
2. A photo must be taken of said item - there are exceptions to this rule. I am not going to subject you to a picture of my old underwear should that be an item I get rid of.
3. Once chosen I cannot change my mind - this is relevant when I am in the middle of filling up a bag to give to charity. I cannot dig through it, once an item is in there, there it stays.
4. I must explain here where I got it (if I remember) why I am getting rid of it and where it is going.

So, with that in mind here are the first i…

Time! Look where we are...

Wasn't going to post anything today, then I decided that it's been ages since I've entered a challenge! So I looked around and found That's Crafty were hosting a challenge with the theme of time. So here is my entry to that. See if you can spot the time link...


Got it yet? I decided to celebrate my favourite Time Lord, Doctor Who! (The Eleventh incarnation to be precise)
The star is symbolic of Galifrey. It's chipboard, painted with tarnished brass distress paint, stickled with the same colour, then edged with weathered wood distress pad. The blue symbols are foil, embossed and sanded. The embossing folder just reminded me of Galifreyan writing!

The background is clocks *(not sure but I think it's a Docraft set) to which I inked the edges in weathered wood and added some remnant rub ons.

Bow tie. Cos bow ties are cool! This was made from Sew Lovely paper.

You can also see a shrink plastic keychain Tardis here, complete with bead sonic screwdriver and key. Cos e…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…