Skip to main content

A whole new world....






The Works has opened in Newquay now, so it's been a lot easier buying things to alter. These boxes are only a quid (bargain) so I bought three. With this one I started off by coating it in white gesso, before coating the outside in tissue paper, and spraying it with Lindy's sprays. I used a bit of black distress crayon in places, to make it look like it's been burnt. I then used texture paste through a floral stencil, and painted it with mica powder. On the inside I stamped a crackle stamp, then used various ephemera on the inside lid, using distress crayons to age them a little. I also painted the inside edge with metallic copper paint.



This is my progress on my current cross stitch so far. I'm hoping to get this one done soon, as I have another one in mind for a present for somebody. Not to mention I have a few more still in my stash!

search for a novel,
panned b y critics and readers,
see if I agree

The plan this week was to choose a book that has been critically panned. I started off by posting on a Facebook group I belong to , asking for people's opinions. Big mistake. Personally I think that people's opinions are important, whether it be about a book they love or a book they hate, as it illustrates people's opinions in a more rounded way. Some people didn't agree; so much so that the mods ended up taking the post off. Before it did a lot of people had voted for 50 shades, which I am not going to read, so I tried a different tack.

I found this article, which has some great examples of books that were hated in their time (gives aspiring author's hope that one - it's the literary equivalent of Van Gogh). I chose Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. I've always admired the ability of a writer to write about the future. It's easy to write about the present, and about the past, as we have reams of references at our beck and call. Far harder is to write about a possible future, many years from where we are now, because it relies almost solely on our imagination. At the time of publishing, Huxley's vision of the future was absolutely panned, most likely for it's dystopian bleak outlook.

"Words can be like X-rays if you use them properly. They can go through anything." How true is that line. Words have the ability to ensnare and enthral us, to cut us so deeply we bleed sadness.

I will admit there was a little bit I didn't like, which was the pages of conversation. These conversations were between three pairs of people, and it took more than a little concentration to discern who was speaking to who!

In the book, babies are made, with no need for the antiquated family/home unit, which are looked on with revulsion. Obviously we have not got that far yet, but ethics committees still have avid discussions about just how far we should go to create the perfect embryo. So far it has been limited to choice of gender, and tissue type, both for severe medical reasons, but what will the future hold? And with the obviousness of money being an issue, will this separate the class divides even further?

Class divides are clear within the population, with literally no means of travelling between them. A person is genetically designed with the necessities for their particular class, and post-birth (which isn't actually birth - these people are grown in bottles; mass-produced via a budding process) they are given pavlovian training to condition them via negative reinforcement so that the lower classes do not waste time on things like gardening and music. They also undergo hypnopaedia - learnable sleeping, which is defunct at least in reality. All this adds up to almost robotic, automatic phrases, that are blurted out at regular intervals in a conversation, and the fervent belief that you wouldn't want to be any other class than you are. It's the ultimate control, leaving people free of aspirations.

Side effect free drugs (now that is a pipe dream) have replaced religion, people taking them daily. I wouldn't mind seeing side effect free drugs, but ones used medically not recreationally.

The interesting thing about this book, apart from the parallels between our society now, is the fact that Huxley doesn't concentrate on one single person. There are three main characters, all given their own story, all fleshed out properly, and all of different classes. In fact, one is not in the class structure whatsoever, being born naturally in Mexico, which still conforms to the old style family units. The book ends with him, and it is a truly shocking end. Victorians were fascinated by the macabre (look at memento mori if you don't believe me) but I think even this ending would have appalled them. That being said, it is the perfect ending for the book in my opinion.

Being born in the Orwellian year '1984' I have always been fascinated by people's visions of the future, and whether that future pans out in any way. I think in a few decades time I may dig out books from the eighties, and see just how accurate they turn out to be. Who knows, one of those that was critically panned in it's day may turn out to be another Huxley.
Emma


Copulation is for copulation's sake, not for reproduction, everyone being encouraged, even children, though not with adults as this would have been a step too far in the book I think. The reason for this is not about the sex itself, it is the lack of repression. Victorians on the whole were notoriously repressed in public, even going so far as to cover up table legs as they reminded them of women's legs.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems