Skip to main content

To really listen

Post two! I've been a bit busy this week...

First of all is another card. I started off by embossing a tag, gluing on a wooden flourish and a prima heart, then spraying it with Lindy's sprays. I was stuck with what to do then so I decided to incorporate it into a card. I stuck it on vintage paper, then die cut gears painted with copper paint, spring greenery inked with peeled paint distress ink, and flowers inked with Victorian velvet distress ink. I used a stickle in the centre of each flower, then die cut the word mum before assembling the card.

I've also been making some bracelets. Some of them were simple beaded strings, others were weaved in a pattern. I used crimp beads for the ends. (Love crimp beads, but I need some things for corded ends because I have a lot of cords in my stash)

I finished a cross stitch piece! This one is going to be a gift for someone. I've already started setting up my next one.

Headphones cover ears,
drums vibrate with spoken words
that weave a story

This week's challenge was to listen to an audiobook. I've read a lot of books but, aside from the free tapes that came with Roland Rat and Werebear toys, I've never listened to one. Until now that is. I got my chosen one from the library, costing £2 for three weeks. (Another reason why I prefer written to audio - imagine having to pay £2 for each book I rented? I'd be broke!) I settled on Brainchild by John Saul.

There were 10 discs, with about 11 hours of recording. Judging by the first two discs, I would have easily read that book and started the next by the time it had taken me to listen to the first two CD's. The narrator was American, male. His voice for the female characters was vapid, irritating me. It's one of the few times that I was glad women didn't make much of an appearance in a book. Occasionally the flow was wrong too; odd pauses in a sentence. Not the way I would have read it at all. The other problem was that the CD's were broken into tracks, and when one ended the next one didn't automatically begin, so there were numerous patches of dead air.

The story itself was a weird mishmash of entitled teenagers, science fiction, an old grudge/curse or two; of which one reason for what has happened in the narrative was a little pathetic to be honest. Not what I expected from the blurb on the back at all. There was a plothole that wasn't resolved, and a tacked on ending to potentially add a sequel. To give the writer his due, it was published in 1985, when that kind of horror pulp-fiction was very popular. It just wasn't my cup of tea, and neither was listening to a book. I like books to go at my own pace, which is a lot faster than an audiobook. Unfortunately if I sped it up to my natural speed, I'd be listening to the Chipmunks! I think the only thing that will change my mind is if I find the perfect narrator.

Till next time


Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.

The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.

The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.

I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.

I think this…

Somewhere...beyond the sea

Scary thing happening tomorrow - my first day at a new job, so there will probably be a little less in terms of posting until I settle in. I've done some this week though.

This was the first piece. I had to show you the background before I put all the ephemera on. It's a few lindy's sprays with the bubble stamp. The thing that makes the bubble stamp pop is the use of white pen to highlight the bubbles. Really makes it come alive.
Here's the finished product. I coloured letters with blue ink, glittered with stickles and coated with UTEE. I cut out plant life and inked it with various colours, as well as stamping a clam and star fish, and colouring with distress crayons. Finally I added a few shells.

Continuing the nautical theme, here is a pair of earrings, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box.

My aunt and uncle have been down for a couple of weeks, and while they were down my uncle painted our staircase. So I made him a thank you card. I chose the Wild at H…