Skip to main content

oompa loompa doopity do......

I've been making jewellery this week, using things from the new Beadhaul box, as well as some shrink plastic and things from my rather extensive stash. I'll go through them one at a time.




Hook earrings made using items from the latest box, plus gold beads and hook earrings from my stash.

A bird necklace. I managed to bag the first beadhaul box on ebay, which I was happy about as I missed it initially. This necklace uses a few beads from the latest box too, plus some chain fragments.



A shrink plastic bracelet. I stamped the jars, then chose some stamps to go in the jars (my favourite is the kite) then I painted them with watercolours before punching a hole and shrinking them. I attached them to some fragments, and added some head pins with beads from my stash, and a lobster clasp.


I decided to try something a little new here after seeing something similar on a television programme. I die cut two feathers out of shrink plastic, stamped them with script stamp, punched a hole in them and coloured them with sharpies. Once shrunk, I painted the back with white gesso to protect them from the glue I used to attach brooch backs. I added a green heart to each feather, and a chain to string between the two badges. Finally I added a tree pendant to the centre of the chain.


Here is the second one I did. I die cut some hearts, gears and wings and shrunk them. I painted the hearts silver and edged the sides with black sharpie, the gears gold, and left the wings, before assembling the pieces. I glued the brooch pieces on the back, and added some chain fragments and beaded head pins to finish.

a ban on sweet things,
no beans from a foreign land,
not dark, white, nor dairy

So, this week's thing was giving up chocolate. I thought it appropriate given Wednesday was lent, and the British Heart Foundation are asking people to give up chocolate for March (can't do that long-sorry). However, as I am not religious, a week should suffice! I will admit I am a bit of a chocaholic, especially at work when boredom and irritation collide and only sugar will suffice to dampen my negative mood. I have also in the past downed a tub of chocolate ice cream in one go I am ashamed to say, so I was hoping that, in the same way that my fizzy drink addiction has all but disappeared (still not had any) it might at least curtain the sheer quantity of chocolate I devour on a regular basis.

This week was easier than I expected overall, but I will take one day at a time.

Monday - Went to the Co-op. It was harder than I thought to find a snack that wasn't chocolate related; even the cakes are either dried fruit, lemon, or chocolate. I had a tiny pack of Skittles.
Tuesday - headache today. Unsure whether it was due to the lack of chocolate or the fact that a customer was talking incessantly for about three hours. I had a leftover After Eight yoghurt in the fridge that was due to run out today. Knowing I could not eat it myself, I gave it to my co-worker.
Wednesday - Headache all day. I've not been craving chocolate though, at least not much. Bought some fruit and some fruit yoghurt. Also ate some shortbread.
Thursday - My favourite yoghurts - Cadbury's layers of joy - were reduced to 55p in Sainsbury's, due to being at the end of their use by date. Instead of buying them, I gave my 55p to charity so that I would not be tempted later.
Friday - Interestingly, the morning shift brings more boredom, and more importantly, more cravings, than the evening shift. I thought it would be the other way around. I tend to feel a mid-morning slump, about 11am, which is when I reach for a snack. Perhaps I need to rethink what I have for breakfast, or at least have some fruit on hand for when these cravings occur.
Saturday - Day off. Plenty of chocolate in the kitchen (have I stockpiled ready for Monday?) Not tempted by any of it...yet anyway. I've definitely eaten less sugar than I would normally have done, but I cannot sense it has done my body any good.
Sunday - one day to go! Well, at this point, about four hours. Did the food shopping for work next week and bought ginger nut biscuits for my snack, not chocolate. Surprised myself there!

Knowing that I can go for a stretch without chocolate has inspired me to curb the mindless snacking. It won't stop completely but perhaps it will a little.

Emma

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems