Skip to main content

Beadhaul box review,,,plus a few other things

First the Beadhaul box review. This was very late this time, and I honestly don't know how long it will continue as the owner appears to be struggling. As much as I like these boxes, I would rather she give them up and focus her time on her young family if they are stressing her out so much. Anyway, to the April box.

 The theme is summer loving - so expect bright things!

 Glass beads. I like these, the little flick of red reminds me of flames.
 Yellow beads. Not a colour I would usually go for, but they are nice.

Daisy charms. I think I am going to paint these before doing anything with them. As you can see, the centre is poorly painted.
 Seed beads. What we need are tutorials for basic beading techniques with these.

Flower charms/beads. Quite nice, I like the pastel colours.

Bee charm. I love this. Understated, yet a perfect charm for summer.

Silver findings. Unusual given the charm is gold, but always useful. Here are head pins, eye pins, jump rings and a chain.

 Fruit is in apparently, as it's getting to nicer weather. These are unusual, but well made.
 I don't like these. They are designed for a child, and they are poorly painted. A rare miss.

Flower beads. These are cool. In fact I have already used some.

Silver flower charms. Nice item, and could be used for a number of things.

Blue ladybirds? Cool!

Shell beads. These are gorgeous! A bright array of colours, and the shine on them is beautiful.

Sun and cloud charms. Another lovely item. These would be a perfect finishing touch to a bracelet or necklace.

I have already made some earrings from this box.

Such a simple design, but the shell beads make it pop. The findings were from my own stash.

Overall I liked this box, but I wasn't as excited about it as I have been with previous ones. Whether this was because of the owner's message or not I do not know. There are some amazing items, but there are a few duds as well.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that the cut out from the Docrafts seaside scene dies was perfect for a different design. Well, I finally made it.



The orange bit was perfect for a pacman ghost! I made a little scene with black card, strips of blue card and the dots came from a hole punch. I added eyes onto the ghost (blue dots also courtesy of hole punch) and then die cut the sentiment in yellow, replacing the C in Carl with a pacman.

I've also dug out an old stitch - Winter Village. Here is the progress so far.


Not much progress from where I was, but this is easily the hardest stitch I have ever done. I've decided to concentrate on the sky for now.

flour, eggs and butter
mixed in equal ratios
don't forget butter!

Confession now - I have never made a cake from scratch on my own. I have made a Victoria Sponge with the brownies years ago (that's brownies the group, not the confectionary treat) and I have made cakes from packet mix. So this week, as it was my brother's birthday, I set out to rectify this. I used a recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery book for chocolate bundt cake. The haiku doesn't work for this recipe, as it doesn't use butter, it uses mayonnaise! It may sound strange but if you think about it, mayo is basically eggs and oil, and oil is so much better than butter if you want a moist cake.

Now, I am never going to be auditioning for the British Bake Off, but overall I was pleased with the cake. As I used a normal tin it took a little longer than it would have done in a bundt cake tin, but it cooked through in the end, only sunk a little (which I copiously covered with the glaze) and it tasted delicious.

As you can see I tried to drizzle the glaze artistically on the side, but I ended up with more glaze on the side than on the cake!

That's it for this week. Until next time - happy crafting! (Why do I hear a Looney Tunes style jingle after that?)
Th-th-th-th-that's all folks!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems