Skip to main content

Opening up a new world

I finally have something besides cross stitch to show! But first - the cross stitch!




As you can see I am coming close to completing it now. I really want to finish it, because this is my first task/reward item, and I have already chosen my reward. I'm not rushing it though, as that is when things go wrong.

I have been toying with an idea of a canvas project since getting the first craft box a month ago, when I saw the globe postcards, so I decided to make it this week. The first background I did went wrong, so I started again, and ended up with this. Unfortunately I have not got the hang of using sprays yet, at least not when it comes to backgrounds.

I started off by getting an old piece of card, that was originally from a Christmas stash, and used a script stencil with texture paste, sprinkling embossing powder on it and using a heat tool to dry. Once that was done I started laying things out. I covered a snip art piece with black gesso and wax for the background, and also used lindy's sprays to colour some snip art trees. I used embossing powder on the Eiffel tower. I also die cut various things that reminded me of books - such as Moby Dick and Around the world in Eighty days and coloured them with promarkers. These are all tattered lace dies - some of them from a slider pack and the books and the pen and ink stand from a separate pack. I used Crackle Glaze on the inkstand. I was not happy with the colouring I did, so I used distress crayons to add a little more depth. After assembling the canvas, I die cut some letters, and used some gems to make it look like letters were escaping from the books. Finally I stamped out the sentiment - fall into a paper world.





I have finally figured out how to use the stamp platform properly (hint - use a level secure surface) so the sentiment came out great. I'm pleased with this, because I like the fact that it is slightly out of the box, and that it marries two of my favourite things.

Ems

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advent Calendar

I've been off this week, so have managed to make a few things. To start with, I have finished page one of the poppies stitch. Here is the update.



I also got a new sun moon mold, so decided to make a notebook. I started off by gluing a wire fence background, as well as the sun moon paper clay, some Tim Holtz ephemera, and other things from my stash, onto a notebook. Once dry i painted with black gesso, then used various Prima waxes until i was happy with what I had. I added a spoon head in a space I had purposefully left, mixing together art stones and snowflake paste and adding it to the spoon, before dripping a Lindy's spray on it. When that was dry i added a metal clock charm and a paper doll, and finally added some snipart stars that i coloured silver, and a Tim Holtz saying. 



Finally, I made an advent calendar. This was one from the Works. I started off by painting it black, then brown. I added some distress glitter glue along the tops of the drawers, to cover up the imp…

Using G45 and Visible Image

Been making a few things this week. Before i get onto those, here is the progress on the photo stitch.




Doesn't look like much progress from last week but there are only three colours left on this page, so i think at the moment i am ahead of schedule. 
I've made a couple of birthday cards this week:

This is using G45 Steampunk Spells, the 1st G45 papers i got. I decided to dig them out to see if i could get a little inspiration. As well as using the papers, i used some snipart cogs that i sprayed with Lindy's sprays, and a Tim Holtz sentiment die. 

I used a Visible Image stencil on this one for the background, then added some snipart pieces i embossed with either white or holographic embossing powders, a sentiment, some pearls and flowers. 
Sorry for the short post this week, but I haven't been doing much craft wise. I will say that i have been planning for Nanowrimo - not for a novel but to get myself back into writing. I love my job but there is a downside; spend all …

Curiosities

I decided to dig out a tando creative printer tray this week. I have put these aside for a while as I didn't know what to do with them. But as this year is about using as much of my stash as I can, I utilised one of these, as well as some of my newer items. I started by taking the cover off, which I put aside for another project. I then painted it first black and then gold. I picked some resist paper, inked and stamped it, before using it as the background. I used four wood slices, then stamped and coloured some insects. These were placed on foam before being glued to the wood slices. I also added remnant rubs as labels. For the remaining spaces I die cut potions bottles. The bottles were cut from watercolour paper and inked. The potions themselves were coloured paper. Again I used foam pads for dimension.






Working on the cross stitch but the light is awful at the moment and I'm in need of an eye test, so progress is slow. 

Until next time Ems