Skip to main content

Using templates...

I'm the first to admit that my weaknesses are layering and working in three dimensions, at least when it comes to crafting (actually the layering is an issue clothes wise too, I never know what goes!) Anyway, instead of ignoring weaknesses it is best to work on them in the hope that they become strengths.

I had bought a couple of templates from house of Zandra when I went to a craft exhibition in Exeter last year, and, since last year, they have been sat in my craft room gathering dust. I have two; a chest of drawers template and a book box one. I decided to use the book box one, as it seemed a little easier than the chest of drawers and, as a newbie, I thought I'd dip my toes in the water instead of plunging headfirst into the deep end.

The templates are made from durable card so they can be used again and again, and they are relatively cheap. The drawback is that, at least with the book box template, the instructions are not explicit enough for somebody like me, namely the direction of the folds. Still, the odd problem aside I managed to make something.






I used the new Roald Dahl collection to make this. I was torn between the BFG and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but ultimately decided on the latter as it would be a brilliant box to put a box of chocolates in and give as a gift!

I made a book with the decoupage, and also used the book paper to line the inside. I also added the factory decoupage, and the oompa loompas (so happy they were the original drawings and not the film versions), added Mr Wonka leading the guests in the bottom corner, and attached a sentiment and a golden ticket to springs to give it more of a 3-dimensional vibe. On the other side, as well as the book, I made some of the spinners look like lollipops by adding ribbons, and added a fragment charm with gold glitter and the golden ticket, as well as a golden ticket ribbon. Finally I cut out a flower from more paper, inked it with tattered rose, and added it to the corner.

As well as this, I have been working on more shrink plastic, namely the house keyrings. I am admittedly, a huge geek when it comes to Dr Who so I decided to do a few of these



Draw or trace a Tardis onto frosted plastic, then colour with sharpies. Punch a hole in the corner then shrink. Once shrunk, add a keyring fob, then attach an eyepin with some beads strung onto it. Then I added one of the little keys I have to the bottom of the eyepin.

Lastly, the update on the photo stitch. I have now started page 7 of 8. 

Not a bad week's work considering I'm full of cold! I think I may have enough stuff soon to start selling things, though I may keep this under the back burner until after my book launch.

I hope everyone is well, and crafting up a storm
Until next time
Emma x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.


The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.


I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.



I think this…

Somewhere...beyond the sea

Scary thing happening tomorrow - my first day at a new job, so there will probably be a little less in terms of posting until I settle in. I've done some this week though.


This was the first piece. I had to show you the background before I put all the ephemera on. It's a few lindy's sprays with the bubble stamp. The thing that makes the bubble stamp pop is the use of white pen to highlight the bubbles. Really makes it come alive.
Here's the finished product. I coloured letters with blue ink, glittered with stickles and coated with UTEE. I cut out plant life and inked it with various colours, as well as stamping a clam and star fish, and colouring with distress crayons. Finally I added a few shells.

Continuing the nautical theme, here is a pair of earrings, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box.

My aunt and uncle have been down for a couple of weeks, and while they were down my uncle painted our staircase. So I made him a thank you card. I chose the Wild at H…