Skip to main content

Crafters block...

How do you go about keeping up a blog whose subject is crafting when you have a creative block? Depression can be a bit of a hindrance sometimes when it comes to being creative. This week, I was feeling particularly uncreative, but I perservered. First of all, here is the update on my photo stitch. I tend to stitch more when I am feeling anxious. I have been feeling pretty anxious this week, which resulted in me finishing a page in record time. I only have one more page to go till it is finished.



I also took one of my other kits to work so that I could do a bit of stitching during my break. I started this on Monday.


That's quite a bit of stitching! I'm leaving the glitter parts till last because I hate working with glitter thread. It always snags. I got Thread Heaven for christmas last year, so I'm hoping this gets rid of the problem.

I didn't feel like this was creative enough, so I tried to make a card. I had no idea what to do, so I gathered together some stuff and just went with my instincts.


I dug out my old Docrafts chronology paper, and used a grey sheet for the background. I also cut out a blue hot air balloon. Then I added some red Bobunny lace along the bottom. The stamped image was from Quick Cards magazine. One thing I do need to work on is my colouring. I've got some watercolour pencils, so perhaps I will practise with those. Anyway, after adding two resin flowers from my stash I got some chipboard pieces. The red frame was coloured with promarkers, the lock was inked with frayed burlap and distress stickled with brushed cordurouy. The little frame was inked and stickled with faded jeans, and the key with pumice stone (the key is my favourite part). Finally, the 30 was painted with white crackle paint, inked with scattered straw, coated in clear crackle polish then rubbed with pumice stone.

I think if I did this again I would take out the lock and out the frame and the number in it's place but, aside from that, I'm actually pleased with this. I'm really loving the stickles at the moment. I've never really been a glitter person but, as you can see, these are no ordinary glitters. What I will try and remember to do next time I use them is to distress ink the sides after they have dried, as I keep forgetting all these Tim Holtz things are designed to work together!

Emma x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.


The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.


I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.



I think this…

Somewhere...beyond the sea

Scary thing happening tomorrow - my first day at a new job, so there will probably be a little less in terms of posting until I settle in. I've done some this week though.


This was the first piece. I had to show you the background before I put all the ephemera on. It's a few lindy's sprays with the bubble stamp. The thing that makes the bubble stamp pop is the use of white pen to highlight the bubbles. Really makes it come alive.
Here's the finished product. I coloured letters with blue ink, glittered with stickles and coated with UTEE. I cut out plant life and inked it with various colours, as well as stamping a clam and star fish, and colouring with distress crayons. Finally I added a few shells.

Continuing the nautical theme, here is a pair of earrings, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box.

My aunt and uncle have been down for a couple of weeks, and while they were down my uncle painted our staircase. So I made him a thank you card. I chose the Wild at H…