Skip to main content

My geek box August review

I got my second geek box this morning, and this month's theme is QUEST! LEt's take a look shall we?


Some Hobbit postcards - I loved the Hobbit but postcards are a bit disappointing.


A Game of Thrones bookmark. Haven't read the books or seen the programme but I can always do with more bookmarks.


The other side of the bookmark.


A Funko figure. As I've said before I haven't seen Game of Thrones but I appreciate a good figure.


Out of the box - it's cute.


This month's t-shirt design. I love this! Reservoir Dogs is my favourite Tarantino flick and I'm a huge Tolkien fan, so I'm very pleased with this.


Bertie Bott's every flavour beans from Harry Potter. I don't eat jellybeans so someone else can have these. Now the question is, do I take off the ingredient list so that someone eats a funny flavoured one by mistake?

This box is ok. I love the t shirt and the figure, but I'm disappointed by the limits under the Quest theme. They could have had Zelda, WoW, or any number of films/games with an epic quest, instead of limiting themselves to two franchises and throwing in the beans as an afterthought for a third. That being said, I will give them another shot, as I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with the Apocalypse theme. 

Emma

Comments

  1. Interesting selection Emma. I love that little dragon,super cute,worth it just for that.

    Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog,don't think I would ever be picked for a team because my style is probably not 'main stream' enough,which is what I like :)

    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.


The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.





So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…