Skip to main content

How not to make earrings

I wanted to keep the previous post separate, as I felt it was too important to clutter with crafts. I have however, decided to take a leaf from Robin's book, and approach this post with a small modicum of humour. I have stated before that I want to do tutorials so here is my first (sans pictures I'm afraid). So here it is:

1. Grab your clear shrink plastic. Realise that you've grabbed acetate and not shrink plastic only after you have sanded the acetate.

2. Sand the shrink plastic. Do this both horizontally and vertically.

3. Stamp the sanded side! Remember to use an ink pad that will stay on the shrink plastic without smudging (best is Staz on)

4. Drop the ink pad onto your leg, so you have a nice black smudge.

5. Ink the required stamps. Leave to dry (very important)

6. Sand the other side of the shrink plastic. Make sure you remember which side the stamp is on!

7. Use Sharpies to colour the plastic. Promarkers work as well, but Sharpies are better in my opinion. Make sure that your earrings match.

8. Punch a hole where required.

9. Place tinfoil/baking paper (paper is better) onto a baking tray and arrange the shrink plastic so that they aren't touching.

10. Remember that you haven't turned the oven on, so put it on to 160 (fan oven) and wait a couple of minutes to heat

11. Quickly grab your tray ready to put in the oven, only for your movements to disturb the shrink plastic, tipping at least half on the floor

12. Pick up the shrink plastic, and try again

13. Shrink the plastic. Resist the urge to keep opening the door to check on it. I swear, it only takes a few seconds to shrink

14. Burn yourself at least once flattening any pieces that are slightly curled.

15. Wait to cool

16. Realise that what you shoule have done in the first place is to stamp one image on each side of the plastic, so that you have mirror images.

17. Think, b***er it, and decide if your earrings aren't going to match, then they really aren't going to match, so pair the rabbits with the badgers and the owls with the foxes.

18. Attach the badger/rabbit to a hook earring. To them, attach a large block, then a smaller one.

19. Realise that you didn't need to punch a second hole in the blocks for the owl and fox earrings

20. Root through your stash to find four matching charms that are small enough to attach to the earrings (feathers)

21. Done!

OK I'm not a comedian but this did actually happen to me! Even though they don't match I think they are quite good actually. Who says we have to match?

Hope everyone is crafting up a storm :)
Emma x


  1. Wow,these are gorgeous Emma. I really must try shrink plastic but for some reason never have. They would make fab necklaces too,I love them :)

    Donna xx

  2. Cute earrings Ems. Love their uniqueness in not matching. It works! ~ Cobs.x


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.

The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.

So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.

Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.

I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 

I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!

I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…