Skip to main content

Another altered tin...and a bonus

I've got another altoid tin for you today. I decided to use my Roald Dahl papers and decoupage for this, as I have overused the Steampunk Spells a bit recently, and I want to save some of that for bigger pieces.


I decided to go relatively simple for the outside, using a green spotted paper and some chipboard letters that have been inked and glossy accented. The glitter around the side is purely because some of the altoid tin was showing through! I had some trouble lining the side of this for some reason, so much so that instead of paper I used some ribbon (strange green ribbon from the Roald Dahl collection but ribbon nonetheless!) to line the lower side. I have realised part of my problem was that I was lining it when the tin was open, thereby papering too much. Explains why my last one didn't close too.



I used multicoloured spotted paper to line the inside (the top is glittered with blue because the paper would not lie flat, I wonder if it is something to do with the paper?) I used the BFG decoupage set for the decoration within the lid.


I left the bottom empty as I actually wanted this to be used, rather than just a tin for decoration.

I've run out of altoid tins for now (rest are still full of mints) so I have decided to do something a little different over the course of the next few weeks. One of the things I received in the goody box from Countryview crafts was a project book, namely the Creative expressions project book volume two. Using the supplies I have, I am going to do my own versions of each project. I say my own versions, because for the main part I do not have most of the supplies (specific stamps, embossing powders etc) but I will try to use either the layout or the techniques within each project.

Now for the bonus I spoke about (which may not be a bonus to you but I hope you appreciate it all the same)... a small exerpt from my book! It's only a month and a half now till launch (which is triggering panic attacks but that's for another time) so it's time to incorporate it into my blog a little more. 

"Now what happened to Jessica was not the thing that I regret the most about the last year. That happened after. You never think that these things are going to happen to you; even as I watched Jessica pleading the newly arrived soldiers for help from the safety of my house as she held her baby in her arms, I still didn’t think that it would happen to me. How foolish I was. The only difference between the woman I thought so unfortunate and myself is that she was able to follow her family into nothingness. I guess she was the lucky one, fortune has not favoured me thus far. One of the soldiers took Jessica’s baby and you could see the relief on her face for a fraction of a second, while she thought she had finally got the help she needed. Then the soldier tossed the baby’s tiny body into the truck. That finally broke Jessica. Where Rachel had been resigned to her fate, Jessica was going to fight it all the way. She pulled free of the other soldier, who had had a tenuous hold on her arm, and ran towards the truck. I don’t know what she had planned in her mind to do, or whether she was running on pure grief and anger, but whatever it was she never got a chance. Her screams had broken the silence; her death brought silence back. "


Emma x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro