Skip to main content

Another altered tin...and a bonus

I've got another altoid tin for you today. I decided to use my Roald Dahl papers and decoupage for this, as I have overused the Steampunk Spells a bit recently, and I want to save some of that for bigger pieces.


I decided to go relatively simple for the outside, using a green spotted paper and some chipboard letters that have been inked and glossy accented. The glitter around the side is purely because some of the altoid tin was showing through! I had some trouble lining the side of this for some reason, so much so that instead of paper I used some ribbon (strange green ribbon from the Roald Dahl collection but ribbon nonetheless!) to line the lower side. I have realised part of my problem was that I was lining it when the tin was open, thereby papering too much. Explains why my last one didn't close too.



I used multicoloured spotted paper to line the inside (the top is glittered with blue because the paper would not lie flat, I wonder if it is something to do with the paper?) I used the BFG decoupage set for the decoration within the lid.


I left the bottom empty as I actually wanted this to be used, rather than just a tin for decoration.

I've run out of altoid tins for now (rest are still full of mints) so I have decided to do something a little different over the course of the next few weeks. One of the things I received in the goody box from Countryview crafts was a project book, namely the Creative expressions project book volume two. Using the supplies I have, I am going to do my own versions of each project. I say my own versions, because for the main part I do not have most of the supplies (specific stamps, embossing powders etc) but I will try to use either the layout or the techniques within each project.

Now for the bonus I spoke about (which may not be a bonus to you but I hope you appreciate it all the same)... a small exerpt from my book! It's only a month and a half now till launch (which is triggering panic attacks but that's for another time) so it's time to incorporate it into my blog a little more. 

"Now what happened to Jessica was not the thing that I regret the most about the last year. That happened after. You never think that these things are going to happen to you; even as I watched Jessica pleading the newly arrived soldiers for help from the safety of my house as she held her baby in her arms, I still didn’t think that it would happen to me. How foolish I was. The only difference between the woman I thought so unfortunate and myself is that she was able to follow her family into nothingness. I guess she was the lucky one, fortune has not favoured me thus far. One of the soldiers took Jessica’s baby and you could see the relief on her face for a fraction of a second, while she thought she had finally got the help she needed. Then the soldier tossed the baby’s tiny body into the truck. That finally broke Jessica. Where Rachel had been resigned to her fate, Jessica was going to fight it all the way. She pulled free of the other soldier, who had had a tenuous hold on her arm, and ran towards the truck. I don’t know what she had planned in her mind to do, or whether she was running on pure grief and anger, but whatever it was she never got a chance. Her screams had broken the silence; her death brought silence back. "


Emma x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.


The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.


I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.



I think this…

Somewhere...beyond the sea

Scary thing happening tomorrow - my first day at a new job, so there will probably be a little less in terms of posting until I settle in. I've done some this week though.


This was the first piece. I had to show you the background before I put all the ephemera on. It's a few lindy's sprays with the bubble stamp. The thing that makes the bubble stamp pop is the use of white pen to highlight the bubbles. Really makes it come alive.
Here's the finished product. I coloured letters with blue ink, glittered with stickles and coated with UTEE. I cut out plant life and inked it with various colours, as well as stamping a clam and star fish, and colouring with distress crayons. Finally I added a few shells.

Continuing the nautical theme, here is a pair of earrings, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box.

My aunt and uncle have been down for a couple of weeks, and while they were down my uncle painted our staircase. So I made him a thank you card. I chose the Wild at H…