Skip to main content

Off to Hogwarts I go...

Ok, I'm not really going to Hogwarts. I will be going to Universal next month but that's not the point of this. I was having a quick rummage through my rather extensive stash the other day when I found these:



I was just going to put them away (there are two of them) when I suddenly thought that I do this quite a bit. I buy something, or it comes free with a magazine, I put it away and then I forget I ever had it. Call this a challenge then. You can join if you want. Look through your stash, pull something out, and use that particular item to influence what you are going to make.

Obviously with the Wizarding World of Harry Potter on my mind, I decided to dig out my polymer clay, mica powder and shrink plastic, to see what I could come up with.



Cluster key rings! I used the list that all first years take to Hogwarts and the number 7 (obviously important) and this is the finished result. Below is each item separately, so you can get a closer look.


The Hogwarts crest. Made from white shrink plastic, and coloured with sharpies. They do tend to smudge a little.



A cauldron, filled with green potion which is dripping over the side. I glazed the cauldron so it's shinier.



A telescope. Black polymer clay dusted with gold mica powder. I put a drop of glossy accents on the end to look like the glass.



A hat, black polymer clay with blue mica powder.


A wand. Brown polymer clay, with added brown mica powder to give it a more magical feel.


Hogwarts: a history book. I tried to take a pic of the side to show you that there are pages (not separate pages of course but the white clay was attacked with a craft knife to make it look like it was a proper book)

So, with the owl, that's seven items. 

I quite like the idea of pulling something long forgotten out of your stash. I think we crafters sometimes forget what we have bought, especially when a new line catches our eye! 

Happy crafting everyone
Emma x







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.


The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.





So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…