Skip to main content

Project 2 - and happy halloween!

This will be a relatively short post, purely because I wanted to write a separate one later this week giving an insight into my writing. I think it's best to keep them as separate posts, in case there are people interested in the book not interested in crafting, and of course vice versa. I do implore you to read the next part though, as in terms of creativity, it is the biggest project I have ever undertaken and in terms of my life, it is the scariest thing I've ever done.

Onto the crafting, and today is project two of the project book. The original is called Time Flies and is by Sam Poole.



What I wanted to take from this was some new techniques, namely the shape of the card and the embossed background. Here is my take on it.



Last project was christmas, this is halloween! (Off topic, that's just put "this is halloween" from Nightmare before christmas in my head) Now this card is diddy. The only framelit dies I have are these and they aren't very big, but it still works. I've never thought of using a die to create a card. Usually the die cut shapes go on the piece, not make the piece themselves. This opens up a new set of ideas! The background paper did not take the distress ink on the edges, which is interesting because I thought they worked on anything. You can't see them clearly, but I did emboss a piece of card and tried the technique of painting with black acrylic paint and wiping off the excess. It didn't work unfortunately; perhaps the card stock was what caused it. However, I used a bit of silver ink to accentuate the circles, and some green lustre spray because I wanted to try it out. I cut a small piece of corrugated card and inked it. 

Once the basic layout was made I went a bit off track and decorated it the way I wanted it. I used a vellum jar, dripped some ink into it and distress inked the edges. I also added a rub on label, and some crackle glaze on the lid. The skull is painted with picket fence crackle paint and rubbed with a bit of black ink. Finally the number 31 (couldn't fit halloween on there) is inked with black ink and then distress stickled with red.

Happy crafting everyone, and happy halloween!

Emma x

Comments

  1. I like the colours you chose, and love the drippiness (is that actually a word? I think I might have made that one up. lol) ... I love the drippiness of the jar. Because of this 'drippiness', it gives it this sort of haunted look - as if you may have captured a spirit or troubled soul inside the jar. ~ Cobs. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully spookalicious Emma! This is really rich in details...you are beginning to be a star crafter now 😊

    Big hugs

    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.


The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.


I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.



I think this…

Somewhere...beyond the sea

Scary thing happening tomorrow - my first day at a new job, so there will probably be a little less in terms of posting until I settle in. I've done some this week though.


This was the first piece. I had to show you the background before I put all the ephemera on. It's a few lindy's sprays with the bubble stamp. The thing that makes the bubble stamp pop is the use of white pen to highlight the bubbles. Really makes it come alive.
Here's the finished product. I coloured letters with blue ink, glittered with stickles and coated with UTEE. I cut out plant life and inked it with various colours, as well as stamping a clam and star fish, and colouring with distress crayons. Finally I added a few shells.

Continuing the nautical theme, here is a pair of earrings, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box.

My aunt and uncle have been down for a couple of weeks, and while they were down my uncle painted our staircase. So I made him a thank you card. I chose the Wild at H…