Skip to main content

The best laid plans...

I don't know about all you other crafters out there, but since I work strange hours sometimes, I prefer to set aside one of my days off for all those boring chores we have to catch up on, and the other day off for crafting. So last week I decided I would leave my crafting for Thursday.

Unfortunately on Thursday there was an emergency at work and I was pulled in to work all day! Honestly I didn't mind but I suppose it goes to show that it might be better to do a little bit of crafting on both days off, instead of procrastinating!

Anyway, I have made a little progress on the Starry Nights cross stitch. As I've said before, I stitch by colour not by row, but you can see it starting to take shape. There are four pages of this and obviously this is page one.

This is the first kit I have done that isn't by Bothy Threads or the photo stitch company I like. I'll be honest, Bothy Threads is far more user friendly than this one is. For starters you have to wind each thread before even thinking of using it, or you will end up with knots. (Believe me, you will end up with knots!) Secondly, the thread is of a poor quality compared to DMC threads. I've no doubt it will look beautiful when it is finished, but it's definitely my least favourite kit to use so far, which is saying a lot considering the Gorjuss ones had metallic threads!

Speaking of Gorjuss, I decided to take my own advice and search through my craft stuff this week. I have a spare room with loads of craft supplies, as well as the ones I use more often which are in my room. Basically, I have so much stuff I get overwhelmed when I look at it and creativity goes out the window! I have a plan for the next few items, which I will get to when I start the project. Today, I used the Gorjuss papers I had to alter an altoid tin.

As well as the Gorjuss stuff, I used a vellum saying, some paper flowers, a metal charm (present) some vinyl sticker flowers for the front of the tin, and some chipboard wings and heart. The wings were painted black and distress glitter was added (just the basic distress glitter) The heart was inked with shaded lilac then a matching distress stickle was added. 

One thing that I love about other craft blogs, and that I try to do as much as possible, is explain either where I got the items I used, or how exactly I achieved the finished look of the item. I believe that crafting techniques are there to be shared. We all have something in common; a love of making things to the best of our abilities and sometimes it's a lovely feeling when something that you have created inspires a fellow crafter.

Happy crafting everyone
Emma x


  1. Wonderful creations yet again Emma. The cross stitch always looks so relaxing to do :)

    Donna xxx

    1. Thanks Donna :) I'd definitely recommend cross stitch - it takes a long time but it is definitely relaxing


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.

Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.

I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 

I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!

I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

A new challenge

Not crafty related which is why it's in a separate post. When I mentioned about not decluttering in a recent post it got me thinking. When I have been successful in completing something it's because I have broken it down into manageable chunks, so I have decided to attack decluttering using the same method. So, from now until the day I can't decide what to get rid of, I will be getting rid of one item a day. Here are the rules.

1. It cannot be food - obvious reasons there
2. A photo must be taken of said item - there are exceptions to this rule. I am not going to subject you to a picture of my old underwear should that be an item I get rid of.
3. Once chosen I cannot change my mind - this is relevant when I am in the middle of filling up a bag to give to charity. I cannot dig through it, once an item is in there, there it stays.
4. I must explain here where I got it (if I remember) why I am getting rid of it and where it is going.

So, with that in mind here are the first i…

Time! Look where we are...

Wasn't going to post anything today, then I decided that it's been ages since I've entered a challenge! So I looked around and found That's Crafty were hosting a challenge with the theme of time. So here is my entry to that. See if you can spot the time link...

Got it yet? I decided to celebrate my favourite Time Lord, Doctor Who! (The Eleventh incarnation to be precise)
The star is symbolic of Galifrey. It's chipboard, painted with tarnished brass distress paint, stickled with the same colour, then edged with weathered wood distress pad. The blue symbols are foil, embossed and sanded. The embossing folder just reminded me of Galifreyan writing!

The background is clocks *(not sure but I think it's a Docraft set) to which I inked the edges in weathered wood and added some remnant rub ons.

Bow tie. Cos bow ties are cool! This was made from Sew Lovely paper.

You can also see a shrink plastic keychain Tardis here, complete with bead sonic screwdriver and key. Cos e…