Skip to main content

Project Seven

Back onto the project book, and here is project seven, titled Steampunk Fairy and designed by Sam Poole. Here is the original design.


The one thing that struck me about this is that, while it is nice, it hardly fulfils the criteria for steampunk. Still, rather than try to make it more steampunk I decided to follow the original design, with a few changes due to availablility of items. Here is my version.






The only stamp I had that I thought was suitable was a Gorjuss one so I stamped that twice, once on some Christmas newspaper and once on plain card. I coloured it with promarkers, then cut out the book and the dress from the plain card and glued it onto the book card. I do like the way you can see the words through the face etc. I decided instead of a card I'd make a tag (seems ages since I've made one of those) so I didn't add the stencilled words on the background. I added vellum wings to the girl (in retrospect I would have used black, not brown ink, as it would show the detail better)

The main point of this project for me was the background. According to the instructions, you had to put distress stain in a few colours (I used red pepper, mountain rose and butterscotch alcohol inks which may have led to the problem I had) onto a craft mat, spray them with water to activate them and then swipe your piece until it's covered. However, alcohol inks seem to be more absorbent than distress stains, so it absorbed it far too quickly. I compromised by soaking the tag in water, dropping the ink over it in various places, then leaving it to dry. I then stamped a crackle stamp in brown ink, and used picket fence paint for the bit behind the girl.

The words are remnant rub ons attached to grungeboard which was painted with barn door distress paint, then sanded, inked with brown ink, and the edges inked with black soot paint.

Overall I really like this piece. I think the background has worked better the way I have done it. I still need to work on the way I colour things (youtube videos tare available to teach you this stuff but it's actually looking them up!)  I'm also loving the background stamp; it's the first time I've used one and now I can see that it adds an as yet missing dimension to my work.

Happy crafting
Emma x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.


The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.


I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.



I think this…

Somewhere...beyond the sea

Scary thing happening tomorrow - my first day at a new job, so there will probably be a little less in terms of posting until I settle in. I've done some this week though.


This was the first piece. I had to show you the background before I put all the ephemera on. It's a few lindy's sprays with the bubble stamp. The thing that makes the bubble stamp pop is the use of white pen to highlight the bubbles. Really makes it come alive.
Here's the finished product. I coloured letters with blue ink, glittered with stickles and coated with UTEE. I cut out plant life and inked it with various colours, as well as stamping a clam and star fish, and colouring with distress crayons. Finally I added a few shells.

Continuing the nautical theme, here is a pair of earrings, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box.

My aunt and uncle have been down for a couple of weeks, and while they were down my uncle painted our staircase. So I made him a thank you card. I chose the Wild at H…