Skip to main content

Project Seven

Back onto the project book, and here is project seven, titled Steampunk Fairy and designed by Sam Poole. Here is the original design.


The one thing that struck me about this is that, while it is nice, it hardly fulfils the criteria for steampunk. Still, rather than try to make it more steampunk I decided to follow the original design, with a few changes due to availablility of items. Here is my version.






The only stamp I had that I thought was suitable was a Gorjuss one so I stamped that twice, once on some Christmas newspaper and once on plain card. I coloured it with promarkers, then cut out the book and the dress from the plain card and glued it onto the book card. I do like the way you can see the words through the face etc. I decided instead of a card I'd make a tag (seems ages since I've made one of those) so I didn't add the stencilled words on the background. I added vellum wings to the girl (in retrospect I would have used black, not brown ink, as it would show the detail better)

The main point of this project for me was the background. According to the instructions, you had to put distress stain in a few colours (I used red pepper, mountain rose and butterscotch alcohol inks which may have led to the problem I had) onto a craft mat, spray them with water to activate them and then swipe your piece until it's covered. However, alcohol inks seem to be more absorbent than distress stains, so it absorbed it far too quickly. I compromised by soaking the tag in water, dropping the ink over it in various places, then leaving it to dry. I then stamped a crackle stamp in brown ink, and used picket fence paint for the bit behind the girl.

The words are remnant rub ons attached to grungeboard which was painted with barn door distress paint, then sanded, inked with brown ink, and the edges inked with black soot paint.

Overall I really like this piece. I think the background has worked better the way I have done it. I still need to work on the way I colour things (youtube videos tare available to teach you this stuff but it's actually looking them up!)  I'm also loving the background stamp; it's the first time I've used one and now I can see that it adds an as yet missing dimension to my work.

Happy crafting
Emma x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time! Look where we are...

Wasn't going to post anything today, then I decided that it's been ages since I've entered a challenge! So I looked around and found That's Crafty were hosting a challenge with the theme of time. So here is my entry to that. See if you can spot the time link...


Got it yet? I decided to celebrate my favourite Time Lord, Doctor Who! (The Eleventh incarnation to be precise)
The star is symbolic of Galifrey. It's chipboard, painted with tarnished brass distress paint, stickled with the same colour, then edged with weathered wood distress pad. The blue symbols are foil, embossed and sanded. The embossing folder just reminded me of Galifreyan writing!

The background is clocks *(not sure but I think it's a Docraft set) to which I inked the edges in weathered wood and added some remnant rub ons.

Bow tie. Cos bow ties are cool! This was made from Sew Lovely paper.

You can also see a shrink plastic keychain Tardis here, complete with bead sonic screwdriver and key. Cos e…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

A new challenge

Not crafty related which is why it's in a separate post. When I mentioned about not decluttering in a recent post it got me thinking. When I have been successful in completing something it's because I have broken it down into manageable chunks, so I have decided to attack decluttering using the same method. So, from now until the day I can't decide what to get rid of, I will be getting rid of one item a day. Here are the rules.

1. It cannot be food - obvious reasons there
2. A photo must be taken of said item - there are exceptions to this rule. I am not going to subject you to a picture of my old underwear should that be an item I get rid of.
3. Once chosen I cannot change my mind - this is relevant when I am in the middle of filling up a bag to give to charity. I cannot dig through it, once an item is in there, there it stays.
4. I must explain here where I got it (if I remember) why I am getting rid of it and where it is going.

So, with that in mind here are the first i…