Skip to main content

What do I do when I finish the ten challenges?

Now that I have completed over half the challenges, and am nearing the end of two more (will finish by mid July at the latest on these ones) should I set myself more? And if I do, should they be along the same lines as the other ones, or should they be something completely different? The reason I ask is because I don't want to get back into the habit of spending for spendings sake, and, for the most part, the challenges have been working. What do you think?

Anyway, this is a crafty blog first and foremost so here are today's makes. The first is the second domino box I had. I started off by painting it blue, then adding some G45 blueprint paper. I have to admit I was at a bit of a loss for what to do then, so I looked around for some inspiration, finally deciding to do this.


The doves are wooden, painted black then coated with gold and blue perfect pearls. The filigree behind the heart was brass but I coated it in silver distress paint, added some black distress powder to age it a little. The heart is painted with iced spruce distress paint, then glossy accented and coated with clear distress glitter. 


The inside of the box is plain black.


The word family is wooden, painted with distress paint and coated with clear distress glitter. 


The roses went through a multitude of different coatings before I finally settled, which is why you may see small areas of red and blue (distress inks). Eventually I coated them in black gesso and used perfect pearls for a metallic finish. 


The butterfly was cut out of foil, embossed, painted with iced spruce, coated in blue alcohol ink, coated in clear embossing powder (with a bit of black distress) and heated, then perfect pearls in gold and brass added to it, before finally adding a fountain pen nib.

The second thing I made today was a bottle necklace. As you know I got a bunch of charms the other day, and I used the first two today. I found some yellow button stars, painted some black, then coated in gold perfect pearls. I then added silver and blue mini balls (the caviar nail things) and some blue glitter, putting all of it into the bottle. I stuck an eye pin to the cork, then added a chain piece with moon and sun charms. Finally I wrote out a small label that says star dust on it, inked the edges, and glued it to the bottle. The pictures don't do it justice, but here they are.





I'm hoping to make more things tonight, but for now I'm having a break, as I'm fighting a stinking cold so need to rest up before going back to work tomorrow.

Happy crafting
Ems


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.


The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.





So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…