Skip to main content

Project Eleven and the first birthday present

A couple of projects today; the first from the project book. The original is called Bon Voyage and is designed by Tracey Evans. Here is her version.


I don't have any embossing powder so I couldn't do the background the way it was. I tried using versa mark ink aon a white card then distress inking it but it didn't really work unfortunately. To be honest, I'm not sure what would work other than embossing powder which I don't want to fork out for. Anyone got any alternatives?


I'm gonna come right out and say it. I am unhappy with this piece. I couldn't get the distress ink to blend properly (need to work on that), for some reason the crackle accents turned the blue ink on the sentiment brown, and the inking round the picture frame is just awful The blue is far too heavy. I like the picture though, as a stamp it really works. 

Onto project two. This was the first birthday present. It's recipient is a seven year old girl. I got a biscuit tube, filled it with some ink pads and stamps that I have never used, and then decorated the outside using papers, ribbon and decoupage from my Roald Dahl collection.





Simple but effective. The brilliant thing about the Roald Dahl collection is that, regardless of age, it appeals to the child in you. The stories will be read for years to come. Plus I love the illustrations by Quentin Blake.

I've also been working on the cross stitch. One advantage of cross stitch is that you have to follow a pattern, so if your creativity is somewhat stifled (say after doing a poor version of a project) then you can still work on it. Here is the update


It's amazing how quickly this page is coming along compared to the first one. With any luck I should have earned my first treat in about six months (!)

Finance wise I have not spent any money aside from £10.05 today for food for work. I have been tempted though. I really want to get some alphabet stamps so that I can add quotes to craft pieces, rather than rely on the limited quotes I have. The question is, do I wait and get some on my birthday, or is £7 a small treat? If I'm honest, I know I should wait.

Here are the task updates 
1. Starry Night cross stitch (on page 2)
2. Complete project book (11/21)
3. Complete book plans (some progress made)
4. Read and review 100 books (14/100)
5. Make 15 christmas baubles (no progress)
6. Make 12 birthday presents (1/12)
7. Make calendar, G45 books and tags (no progress)
8. Hit minimum savings target (no progress)
9. Kili cross stitch (no progress)
10. Write 50,000 words (no progress)

By the look of it I'm subconsciously focussing on a few tasks, and leaving others for a later date. I had planned on working on my mums birthday present tonight, but the oven isn't working and there is no point working with polymer clay if I can't bake it, so it's back to the stitching tonight.

Happy crafting 
Emma x




Comments

  1. I love that project book you're using - it's really working for you. It's bringing the creativity out of your soul and it's now in evidence. FABULOUS!
    ~ Cobs. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more a case of raiding my stash and finding something that's slightly familiar to the stuff in the project book but thanks for the compliment Cobs :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time! Look where we are...

Wasn't going to post anything today, then I decided that it's been ages since I've entered a challenge! So I looked around and found That's Crafty were hosting a challenge with the theme of time. So here is my entry to that. See if you can spot the time link...


Got it yet? I decided to celebrate my favourite Time Lord, Doctor Who! (The Eleventh incarnation to be precise)
The star is symbolic of Galifrey. It's chipboard, painted with tarnished brass distress paint, stickled with the same colour, then edged with weathered wood distress pad. The blue symbols are foil, embossed and sanded. The embossing folder just reminded me of Galifreyan writing!

The background is clocks *(not sure but I think it's a Docraft set) to which I inked the edges in weathered wood and added some remnant rub ons.

Bow tie. Cos bow ties are cool! This was made from Sew Lovely paper.

You can also see a shrink plastic keychain Tardis here, complete with bead sonic screwdriver and key. Cos e…

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

A new challenge

Not crafty related which is why it's in a separate post. When I mentioned about not decluttering in a recent post it got me thinking. When I have been successful in completing something it's because I have broken it down into manageable chunks, so I have decided to attack decluttering using the same method. So, from now until the day I can't decide what to get rid of, I will be getting rid of one item a day. Here are the rules.

1. It cannot be food - obvious reasons there
2. A photo must be taken of said item - there are exceptions to this rule. I am not going to subject you to a picture of my old underwear should that be an item I get rid of.
3. Once chosen I cannot change my mind - this is relevant when I am in the middle of filling up a bag to give to charity. I cannot dig through it, once an item is in there, there it stays.
4. I must explain here where I got it (if I remember) why I am getting rid of it and where it is going.

So, with that in mind here are the first i…