Skip to main content

Perfume shadowbox

I had an old perfume gift box (one of those a woman invariably gets at christmas with the perfume and usually body lotion within) so finally decided to put it to good use, as well as using some crafty stuff that I hadn't used before. I'm entering this in the That Craft Place anything goes challenge

Anyway, I started off by using some G45 Steampunk spells paper to line the box, leaving the outside as I felt I wanted the inside to be the craft piece. I then used a new technique (to me anyway), using foil tape which I stuck to card, embossed, then dabbed with alcohol inks. I still don't have the right technique with these, and I wasn't totally happy with the result, so I got my black soot paint and used it on the embossed sections. It turned out rather well


Once I was happy with this I cut some pebbled paper with the pediments die (something I haven't used before) and attached one pediment to the top and one to the bottom, before stamping out the phrase I wanted, cutting and inking each word separately, and attaching to the foil.


I added an arrow to the top, some pearls to decorate, and a H to stand for the author of the quote, Henry Anthony Wilcox. The whole quote is actually "Our lives are not measured in years, they're not measured in achievement. Our lives are measured in nightmares and sorrows." Dark, but poetical at the same time. 

On the other side of the box, I started with a grungeboard spiral which I painted black and decorated with different coloured sprinkles. I glued this to the base, before adding a white wing with crackle paint and blue ink onto the tag portion of the piece, and attaching that with foam pads. I got some fragments, glued some tick tock paper onto them, then added some rub ons on the top, before positioning them onto the spiral. Finally I cut some flowers out of the reverse of the tick tock paper (inked, glued together with a pearl in the centre, and with tick tock leaves) and some butterflies out of the hot air balloon paper of the Steampunk Spells pad (this is all Steampunk Spells btw). I was originally going to use the blue cog piece on the other side of the hot air balloon bit but I actually preferred the balloon side. 



I added some butterflies to the wings


The majority of the butterflies are on the fragments. For some reason I didn't want to put any on the tag part itself. 


(You can see my vintage Singer in the background - still not brave enough to use it yet!)


So there it is! Hope you like it.

Ems



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....and I've run out of heart related puns....

First off, as always, the decluttering. All funkos this week (and next actually) They've gone to my brother.












Even my cute little Sauron!

Onto the makes. Haven't had a chance to make any jewellery yet and the stitch is not yet finished (on the final page now, which has the most french knots on) but I have made another heart.


I started by cutting two hearts out of some Tim Holtz paper. With the first I sprayed with green and brown Lindy's sprays, and glued it to the wooden heart. With the second I cut with a mixed media thinlit die on one side. It didn't work completely so I cut a bit away. I used texture paste with a brick stencil, then sprayed it with blue Lindy's sprays, adding a couple of drops of alcohol ink on certain bricks to darken it. 


I love Lindy's sprays - they call them magical for a reason!





I die cut loads of gears, painting them silver before attaching them to the heart. I added a couple of pieces of ephemera, a clock, and a wing I've had in…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.


The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.


I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.



I think this…

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.


The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…