Skip to main content

Lists

It's been a while since I've spoken about both my spending and my depression. Sometimes they are interlinked - everyone appreciates the value of retail therapy when they've had a particularly trying day. Unfortunately, when I am in a low period, I will tend to spend on junk which afterwards inevitably makes me feel guilty for wasting money, and so the circle continues. One thing that I find fights both things in different ways, is making lists.

To steal a cliché, getting over depression is akin to climbing a mountain. Looking up at it, it seems an impossible task. Breaking it down into manageable chunks, one step at a time, you may reach the peak before you even realise how far you've climbed. Manageable chunks has been my success, after all, I wrote Lonely As A Cloud five hundred words at a time. So, when it comes to spending I write down everything I spend. Everything. Then I can look over it and figure out where I am going wrong. I also include how I'm feeling when I spend. You'd be surprised how much I can waste in a supermarket if I'm hungry when I go in. (Spending wise I've bought Blue Bloods Season 5 for 24.99 and a lindy bop dress for 19.06) Boredom can also cause you to spend, especially online, and this is why I write lists that have a dual purpose. On days off, or even when I finish early or start late, I write lists and plan what I am going to do in the day. Sometimes it is crafting, sometimes writing, today it was swapping out a chest of drawers for a writers desk. Sunday it was paint my nails. Trivial though that may be it's a little thing that made me feel a little better. Thankfully for those times that I have completed my daily tasks earlier than I thought, I still have my cross stitching to fall back on. Writing unfortunately depends on my mood. I want to get back into the routine of writing daily, in fact I have pledge to do so for November, but at the moment my head is not in the right place. Another place where lists come in handy; it keeps you organised when your brain doesn't want to co-operate.

So, to sum up, lists are good for so many things beyond a shopping list. I'd make a list but that's a little redundant!

I went to see a friend the other day, and her daughter loved my necklace (the bicycle one) so I made her one. I didn't have another bicycle charm but I found a fairy. Nail polish and Glossy Accents were used for the wings.

 
As well as the fairy, I attached a star, heart and a shrink plastic sentiment.

 
The shrink plastic was a stamp, part of a set from a magazine.

 
As I had painted the varnish with an orange red, I omitted the gold pearls I had used on mine and replaced them with red gems.
 
Ems

Comments

  1. Depression and spending is directly linked. I used to do the same and ran up quite a few debts (Still paying some off). Its a way of making yourself feel better isn't it? "How can my life be so bad if I have all of these wonderful things?"
    I used to spend on DVD's, C'D's, crap basically. A guitar that I hated! old VHS films, old super 8 films which sounds like a harmless hobby but when you cant afford food, its a problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stupid thing is, nine times out of ten once you've bought it and the post-shopping glow has dimmed, you realise you should never have bought it so feel guilty but feel like you can't take it back either! Thankfully I don't have any debts (I went a bit nuts at University but I've been relatively sensible since) but I still waste money.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems