Skip to main content

When you want to do something specific but don't have the tools...

I saw something somebody had done for Halloween the other day and it inspired me to do a piece of my own. The things I took from that were the use of a mirror, some crackle glaze, and a burlap panel. Now, I don't have any crackle glaze left or a burlap panel, so I improvised. I started by attaching a burlap square I got from Poundland to a cardboard base.

 
Easy enough! I added some paper panels to the burlap one, after distressing them and inking the edges. I then cut out an ornate frame from chipboard. The outer card was the bit I wanted to crackle, so I did a bit of research. I painted it black, then when that was dry added a thick layer of PVA glue. When that had gone tacky I painted red paint over the top, and left it to dry, before inking the edges with black soot distress ink.


 
Here's a close up version to show you the cracks. Doesn't it look cool! Would look great with brown paint over the top to give the illusion of bark.

 
I grabbed some grungeboard hearts, used distress inks/alcohol ink to paint them, stickled some of them then when they were dry edged them with black soot distress ink.


 
The reason for the hearts is because I decided to do a quote about mirrors and found this one. It was stamped on card, edged with distress ink and attached with foam pads.


 
Here is the mirror, which is lain on the top (still trying to figure out a way to attach it) The frame was painted with metallic distress paint and embossed with black distressing powder. The mirror was painted with silver distress paint, then painted again with silver but with a brush which already had black paint on to give it a murky quality, then stamped with a crackle stamp.

 
Finally I cut some butterflies and flowers out of paper in my stash, edged them with black soot, and stuck them onto the side of the piece.



 
I'm really pleased with this piece and am already thinking of doing something similar with a writing quote. It's the first time I've felt really creative for a couple of weeks, and hopefully will be the start of a creative streak.
 
Happy crafting
Ems

Comments

  1. Just been catching up on your posts via the email notifications I get to my craft related email address and just had to pop over and say WOW!! Your talent at crafting just keeps growing and evolving - do not ever doubt yourself! Might have to pinch your PVA crackle effect trick, it's really effective! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good isn't it! I just didn't want to fork out for crackle glaze again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A few completed projects...

So I finished the Tiger in the Heavens stitch finally. I have decided not to put the sequins on it, as to be honest on reflection it makes it look a little garish, and not right for the intended recipient.





So, one is finished and the next one has started. I have to say I am loving my cross stitch floor stand. It makes it so much easier, even if it is a bit cumbersome getting it up and down the stairs sometimes! Below is the next project.

I have had at least two people remark that it looks like a pair of boobs in a bikini top in the middle, but you can see from the rest of it that it isn't that - that is, unless Wallace and Gromit has suddenly become X-rated!
I've also made a card this week. I haven't been able to do much, as on Saturday I got a delivery of some new furniture, so my room is a little bit of a mess to say the least. Still, I got my G45 papers out and had a bash at a card.

As well as the G45 papers, I used a couple of SnipArt wings and some Lindy's embo…

Money...does grow on trees?

Ok no it doesn't (more's the pity). I decided that to help me keep going on with my savings I needed a visual aid. I didn't want to go for the usual thermometer, so I did something a little different. I started by grabbing the box that the Tim holtz stamp platform (always keep the packaging!) and painting it with sparks paint. I put a patterned paper inside, and then die cut some branches and flowers. I also die cut three butterflies, coating them with gold, silver and copper wax respectively, to represent the coins we in Britain have.



As you can see, it is completely bare on the right hand side. This is because I have set myself a target. Each branch is worth a tenth of that target, and each flower is worth a fifth of a branch. So, I am just shy of halfway on my target.
I also finished my other stag. I kept it simple this time, just coated it with foam cogs, painted it with black gesso and then used silver wax. Simple, but striking.


Finally, here is the progress on the …

Dreaming of the sea...

I've been making jewellery this week, purely because I have not been able to think of what to do mixed media wise. Here are my makes.



This was a white resin shell, coloured with alcohol ink and with some sparks painted small art stones added to mimic barnacles. A bail was added to this, then i made a necklace with some white and green pearls, and finally added a dreaming of the sea charm. 

This is a bracelet. Something simple; just a wool wrapped centre bead, some white beads and extender chains to finish. 


A bookmark, made with some peanut green beads and a couple of flower charms. 
Finally, here is the update on the stitch. I'm over halfway through now. 

Ems