Skip to main content

When you want to do something specific but don't have the tools...

I saw something somebody had done for Halloween the other day and it inspired me to do a piece of my own. The things I took from that were the use of a mirror, some crackle glaze, and a burlap panel. Now, I don't have any crackle glaze left or a burlap panel, so I improvised. I started by attaching a burlap square I got from Poundland to a cardboard base.

 
Easy enough! I added some paper panels to the burlap one, after distressing them and inking the edges. I then cut out an ornate frame from chipboard. The outer card was the bit I wanted to crackle, so I did a bit of research. I painted it black, then when that was dry added a thick layer of PVA glue. When that had gone tacky I painted red paint over the top, and left it to dry, before inking the edges with black soot distress ink.


 
Here's a close up version to show you the cracks. Doesn't it look cool! Would look great with brown paint over the top to give the illusion of bark.

 
I grabbed some grungeboard hearts, used distress inks/alcohol ink to paint them, stickled some of them then when they were dry edged them with black soot distress ink.


 
The reason for the hearts is because I decided to do a quote about mirrors and found this one. It was stamped on card, edged with distress ink and attached with foam pads.


 
Here is the mirror, which is lain on the top (still trying to figure out a way to attach it) The frame was painted with metallic distress paint and embossed with black distressing powder. The mirror was painted with silver distress paint, then painted again with silver but with a brush which already had black paint on to give it a murky quality, then stamped with a crackle stamp.

 
Finally I cut some butterflies and flowers out of paper in my stash, edged them with black soot, and stuck them onto the side of the piece.



 
I'm really pleased with this piece and am already thinking of doing something similar with a writing quote. It's the first time I've felt really creative for a couple of weeks, and hopefully will be the start of a creative streak.
 
Happy crafting
Ems

Comments

  1. Just been catching up on your posts via the email notifications I get to my craft related email address and just had to pop over and say WOW!! Your talent at crafting just keeps growing and evolving - do not ever doubt yourself! Might have to pinch your PVA crackle effect trick, it's really effective! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good isn't it! I just didn't want to fork out for crackle glaze again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you hit a wall?

Sorry guys, this is gonna be another pic-lite one. This is for two reasons. The first is because I decided to be a complete idiot the other day and crack my head open on the door at work, so I have to take things easy for a couple of days. The second is strange. I woke up the other day and it was as if someone had flipped a switch. All of the self-confidence that I had built up through my crafting over the last year has disappeared - just like that. I've spent the large majority of my life thinking that I am not good enough; in what I do, what I say, in short, in who I am. With crafts I was finally starting to believe in myself. So it is very hard at the moment, as I feel that I am right back at square one. I am hoping that this is temporary, and that I will soon feel myself again. I have to remind myself that I am very early in my crafting journey, and there are bound to be bumps along the way. I am aware that it is probably linked to my current state of high anxiety, as susta

Altering again!

My craft mojo came back! I decided to treat myself the other day to a new paper pad, and chose G45 Steampunk Spells. Graphic 45 papers are expensive but boy are they worth it! I wish I'd got into them sooner as there are some older pads that are gorgeous, but unavailable now. Anyway, once I got the pad and overcame the urge to just admire the paper and do nothing with it, I got to work. I decided to try to make something to enter into a couple of challenges, namely the  Craft room something old, something new challenge  and  That's Crafty! Girl power challenge . The first thing to do was to decide what to make. I was going to do a card, but then I found this: This was a cutlery drawer that a friend gave me. To be honest I have been using it to store sharpies in, but no more. Here it is now: What a change! I started by painting it in black acrylic, then got to work on each section. I used the Clockworks paper for the background, cut out some clocks fro

If you leave me now...

A colleague left this week, ready to start her police office training, so I made a funny card for her. I found the definition on Pinterest, then decided to do my own line up for the inside.  I've also been working on the stitch. Here's the update. Not as much done this week cos of Christmas.  Until next year,  Ems